Hewlett-Packard Australia ScanJet N6310
A flatbed document scanner.
- Colours aren't entirely faithful
The HP ScanJet N6310 is versatile, and majors on document conversion, although it does take its time. For slides and negatives, and the flatbed facilities, it will suffice — but for the price, we feel it lacks performance and quality in a few key areas.
Price$ 1,299.00 (AUD)
The HP ScanJet N6310 is a flatbed document scanner.
A good impression is left by HP ScanJet N6310's cream and curved styling, although we weren't quite as enthused by the installation routine. A lengthy reload fixed these problems, although it's not the first time we've experienced problems with HP's gargantuan routines recently.
Besides normal paper documents and business cards, the HP ScanJet N6310 can handle 35mm slides and negatives. A 50-sheet feeder takes in significant numbers of documents at a time, although you will need to make sure it's fitted properly.
As a document scanner the HP ScanJet N6310 didn't perform as well as hoped given the bumper price tag. You can turn documents into one of a number of formats, principally Jpegs, Tiffs and Adobe PDF files. You can even create PDFs that are fully searchable for text, providing you scan at 300dpi resolution.
We stocked up the HP ScanJet N6310 with the same bundle of assorted letters and bills that we used with the Fujitsu ScanSnap S510. The HP ScanJet N6310 needed 3 minutes 25 seconds to scan the documents, and another 2 minutes 12 seconds to turn the images into searchable files. This is significantly longer than the Fujitsu.
The quality is good though, and even complicated magazine pages gave the HP ScanJet N6310 no problems. Here it did trump the Fujitsu, even if we would have liked to have had a faster mode.
When you scan documents as image files you get a little more versatility and the ability to crank up the speed. And the HP ScanJet N6310's built-in flatbed allows you to work with delicate material that you'd rather not see being sucked through the mechanism.
While quality is very good for documents, you won't want to make frequent use of the HP ScanJet N6310 as a full-fledged flatbed. Speed is very good, requiring just 27 seconds to reproduce an A4 picture at a resolution of 300dpi, but the scan reproduction is lacking at the top end.
Colours aren't entirely faithful, and compared to many a standalone flatbed we've seen, the end product simply isn't good enough. The HP ScanJet N6310's design is also slightly flawed, with a heavy lid frequently crashing down before we had the document in place.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Acer Swift 7
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Lexar® Portable SSD
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Google Daydream VR headset
Huawei Mate 9
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Surface Pro 4
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- Why won’t my printer connect to my wireless router?
- How 4D printing is now saving lives
- 3D printing industry to triple in four years to $21B
- Disney files patent for near instantaneous 3D printing
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net Developer - Internet of ThingsNSW
- FTJunior Software Engineer - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)ACT
- FTSenior Java EngineerACT
- TPOracle Consultant - CC&BQLD
- FTLevel 3 EngineerNSW
- CCTest LeadQLD
- TPSenior Analyst Programmer - ContractQLD
- CCSenior Project Manager - Regulatory/Compliance - BankingNSW
- TPSolution Architect - IntegrationQLD
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)WA
- TPSpatial Science OfficerQLD
- FTLevel 3 EngineerNSW
- FTStorage Solution ArchitectVIC
- FTSenior Systems AdministratorWA
- FTMid-Level Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)NSW
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- FTProject Manager (Software product development)VIC
- CCInfrastructure Test AnalystACT
- CCSQL Server BI DeveloperQLD
- TPLinux Desktop Support SpecialistWA
- FTLife/400 Resource - PermanentNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Financial ServicesVIC
- TPImplementation Business Partner - Business ModernisationNSW
- CCDevOps/Senior Sys Admin - eCommerce - Contract - Sydney Northern BeachesNSW