Hewlett-Packard Australia Photosmart D7160
- Easy to use interface
- Colours appear washed out and grainy
In a sea of inkjet competitors, the Photosmart D7160 stands out for its conveniences and its superior photo prints. Though some comparable printers may cost less or print a little faster, this would still be a good buy.
Price$ 249.00 (AUD)
HP packs the Photosmart D7160 with everything you need to print photos, including the ability to print directly from a variety of media cards. HP also bundles its useful Photosmart Premier editing software and its Creative Templates for designing albums and other pieces.
The control panel that manages all of these features is easy to use. Though the symbolic labels are harder to understand than words, the buttons are arranged logically. A helpful touch: Basic tasks are covered in the Quick Start Guide. The design includes conveniences like an input tray that slides out to make loading paper easier. The output tray, which extends from the top of the input tray, is usable but quite flimsy.
Many nice details help this printer stand out a bit from the pack. You can adjust the 2.4-inch LCD's angle to anywhere between 0 and 90 degrees for viewing comfort. Handles on the printer's sides make it easy to move. The impressively comprehensive paper User Guide is actually better than the HTML-based guide.
In our tests, the Photosmart D7160 produced capable speeds and generally good print quality. It managed a midrange text-printing speed of 7.5 pages per minute, and it was among the fastest models in our March 2007 issue roundup at printing graphics and photos. Though the printer is equipped with six inks--black, yellow, light cyan, cyan, light magenta, and magenta--plain-paper prints of text and images were merely adequate: text looked charcoal grey rather than black, though it was generally crisp; colours appeared washed out and very grainy. Glossy paper improved matters, yielding smoother images and more-natural-looking colours, though dark areas lost detail.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Smart LED Bulb LB130
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® Portable SSD
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Google Daydream VR headset
Acer Swift 7
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Surface Pro 4
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 3 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- 4 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 5 Garmin Fenix Chronos fitness tracker smartwatch review
Latest News Articles
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- Why won’t my printer connect to my wireless router?
- 3D printer owners rate the best 14 machines
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
- Subaru XV 2017 review
- LG G6: unboxing, hands on review and detail shots
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- CCBig Data Developer - Government - 12 Month Contract - SydneyNSW
- FTBusiness Development ManagerVIC
- FTService Desk AnalystsSA
- FTSenior Microsoft EngineerVIC
- FTSAP HR Functional ConsultantQLD
- FTBusiness Analyst (BI / Analytics)NSW
- FTDevOps - Web AdministratorQLD
- TPTechnical Analyst - 6 Month Contract - Great Rates Of PayNSW
- TPAEM DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Java Developers (Several positions available)QLD
- FTInfrastructure EngineerNSW
- CCChange AnalystQLD
- CCOrganisational Change Analyst - Banking/Financial ServicesNSW
- FTLinux / Unix Systems AdministratorSA
- FTSenior Systems EngineerNSW
- FTSystems AdministratorNSW
- FTArcFM/Gis Lead DeveloperNSW
- FTRuby on Rails DeveloperQLD
- FTPMO Project Analytics and Tools ManagerNSW
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperVIC
- CCDevOps Engineer - TelcoVIC
- FTSenior Project ManagerNSW
- TPTeam Leader Project And Quality AssuranceVIC
- CCCloud Infrastructure SpecialistNSW