Hewlett-Packard Australia Pavilion a1370a
- Bundled software, Lightscribe-capable DVD burner
This PC is perfect as an out-of-the-box solution for a family. It comes with Microsoft Works, Encarta and its input peripherals and 19in LCD screen make it a joy to use.
Price$ 2,499.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 2 stores)
The Pavilion a1370a may not be the fastest or best-featured system on the market for its price, but it is a nice home PC that is designed for multimedia activities and everyday computing tasks.
Its specifications are decent: it includes a 64-bit Pentium D 930 CPU, which has dual-core technology and is perfect for multitasking. Other key specifications include 1GB RAM, a 160GB hard drive and a LightScribe-capable DVD burner. The hard drive does seem to offer less storage than many PCs in this price range.
In our tests, this drive managed to transfer data at a rate of 17MBps, and in World Bench 5 the Pavilion scored 83, which is a little slower than we expected. It encoded 52 minutes' worth of WAV files into 192Kbps MP3 files in 2min 28sec.
We didn't run any gaming benchmarks on this machine. With a GeForce 6200SE graphics card, which features TurboCache (a technology that uses a portion of system RAM for graphics purposes), the machine is not geared towards any serious gaming, as its 3DMark 2005 score of 1031 illustrates.
What we liked about this PC is its relatively small case and design. It's shorter than a typical mid-tower case and it has a concealable set of connectivity options on the front panel along with a memory card reader, which makes it easy to transfer files from portable devices to your PC.
The LightScribe-capable DVD burner allows you to professionally label any discs you create by simply flipping them over and burning onto the label side.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Apple's Q1: Record $US18.4 billion profit, but iPhone sales are slowing
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Expensive gaming desktops and laptops thrive in slumping PC market
- Intel gets down with Chrome OS in new Acer all-in-one
- Apple reseller Next Byte shuts down
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCOracle Applications Projects Functional ConsultantSA
- FTSystems Administrator/Engineer | $60-90K package | Northern BeachesNSW
- CCProgrammer/Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Moblie) 160115/AP/P/vhaAsia
- CCSenior Agile Business AnalystVIC
- CCFront End DeveloperVIC
- FTJava Full Stack Developer - MelbourneVIC
- CCSenior Android DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior PMO Analyst / PMO LeadVIC
- FT.NET Tech LeadVIC
- FTAnalyst: Business Intelligence & AnalyticsVIC
- FTIT Support AnalystNSW
- CCLync/Skype EngineerNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Crystal Report) 160115/AP/vhsAsia
- FTTechnical Lead (C#/.Net)NSW
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- CCIteration ManagerVIC
- CCJunior .NET DeveloperQLD
- CCSenior Business Analyst - BaselineACT
- CCInformation ArchitectQLD
- CCProject ManagerSA
- FTInsight / Customer - Data ScientistNSW
- CCProject Scheduler / Project Manager - IT InfrastructureNSW
- CCDBA (Oracle/SQL)NSW
- FTJava DeveloperNSW
- CCContract System Analyst (Website/PHP development) 160122/SA/vmtAsia