Hewlett-Packard Australia Pavilion a1060a
Price$ 2,799.00 (AUD)
HP's Pavilion range of PCs is well worth considering if you are after a good-looking home PC for everyday computing and multimedia. Indeed, the target-market for this machine is users who are heavily into digital photography and even digital video editing.
The Pentium 4 540 processor runs at 3.2GHz and its ATI Radeon X300 graphics card is a mainstream card designed for viewing digital images and video on your PC, but not for playing games. A 200GB hard drive provides plenty of space for storing your digital media and a DVD burner allows you to back up your data. The DVD burner is also Lightscribe-capable. Lightscribe, a technology created by HP, uses the DVD burner's laser to burn images and labels on special dye-cast discs (the technology only works with Lightscribe-capable discs). Once you have finished burning your data, simply flip the disc back into the burner, data side up, and burn a label for it. It does take some time and the result is monochrome, but fairly impressive nonetheless.
This machine is also equipped for watching TV and DVD movies, as it ships with an analog TV tuner card (which also lets you listen to FM radio) and a fully functional remote control.
This HP is set up with all these functions enabled. All the software HP supplies is preinstalled. This includes Microsoft Works 8.0, Encarta Standard 2005, as well as HP's operating system and application recovery programs.
HP has done a great job of making this machine look good. Its front panel has stealth optical bays and a sliding door conceals the USB and FireWire ports. If you're after an attractive, off-the-shelf PC for entertainment, education and for storing your digital media, this one is recommended. The supplied software and the excellent no-fuss nature of the set up process makes for an impressive out-of-box experience. Its $2799 price tag includes a 19in LCD monitor.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Pausing on the PC death march
- Nvidia's monstrous new GeForce GTX 1080 and 1070 kick more ass than a Titan X
- Samsung's Raspberry Pi-like Artik 10 priced higher at $149.99
- How to recover data from a corrupt hard drive or SSD with no backup on Mac: How to delete corrupted files on external Mac drive
- Acer's new Predator gaming systems are powerful beasts that will also run your VR headset
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCLinux AdministratorVIC
- CCJunior / Mid Level Java Developer - Developing Restful Microservice SolutionsVIC
- FTVMWare Infrastructure EngineerVIC
- FTManager, Applications SpecialistNSW
- CCProject Manager/Iteration ManagerVIC
- CCSAP Test AnalystACT
- CCIT Environment and Deployment SpecialistQLD
- FTSenior Systems EngineerACT
- CCIT Program ManagerACT
- CCOracle DBA | 3-6mth ContractVIC
- FTService Desk AnaylstNSW
- FTNetwork SpecialistVIC
- CCSenior Automation & Performance EngineerVIC
- CCContract Programmer (MS SQL Server/SQL/Web) 160518/P/626Asia
- FTData & Analytics Technology Platform ManagerVIC
- CCTechnical Digital Producer / Requirements EngineerNSW
- FTIT Support - Level 1NSW
- FTData EngineersNSW
- CCSecurity Clearances Vetting Services OfficerACT
- CCSoftware Licensing AnalystVIC
- CCData Center ArchitectNSW
- CCData Migration Quality Manager- SAP ECCNSW
- CCExcel DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Network Engineer - Technical LeadACT
- CCOperations Systems Support ManagerNSW