Hewlett-Packard Australia Officejet Pro K8600dn
You'll pay a bigger price for this inkjet, but you can print bigger things on it
- Fast, wide-format capability, automatic duplexer
- Expensive, clunky input and output trays
It won't replace your graphics department's high-end colour laser printer, but for drafts and for other kinds of office users it's worth considering.
Price$ 799.00 (AUD)
The HP Officejet Pro K8600dn colour inkjet printer's wide-format capability (it can print on tabloid and B-size media) means that you can print larger documents from your desktop. The product also supports the business world's "faster, cheaper" mantra, offering impressive speed and economical inks.
In our tests on letter-size paper, the K8600dn produced text pages at a snappy rate of 13.8 pages per minute (ppm). It managed from 2.6ppm to 4.1ppm printing various colour images. We didn't test its speed in printing wide-format media, but it would probably be slower because it would have to print more.
The K8600dn's print quality was competitive with that of other models we tried. On plain paper it produced crisp, dark text that compares well to the laser standard. Graphics and photos seemed a bit grainy, but still natural. Even closely spaced lines on one of our toughest samples appeared surprisingly good. On HP's own photo paper, images tended to look a little dark, losing some detail along the way.
The ink system consists of tanks that load into bays behind a front-panel door. Two printheads — one for black and yellow, the other for cyan and magenta — lurk beneath the printer's top panel. Long, transparent tubes snake between the printheads and the tanks. HP uses a standard suite of four-color documents to determine page yields. The standard-size tanks cost $US15 to $20 each and last an impressively long time, from 830 to 1070 pages depending on the color. The high-yield tanks ($25 to $35) last from 1510 to 2450 pages.
The printheads are $60 each to replace. HP wouldn't confirm page lives for these items, but on the company's own Web site we found one of the printheads listed as having a 41,500-page life when used with another, regular-size (not wide-format) HP printer. Because the Officejet Pro K8600dn would print much larger documents, the printhead likely would wear out sooner — perhaps around 10,000 pages, which is still a long life.
The paper-handling can be a bit daunting. The K8600dn has a roomy 250-sheet input tray whose lid functions as the 150-sheet output tray. Loading paper is difficult; you can raise the tray a small amount initially, but lifting it higher requires some force and produces disconcertingly loud friction noises. Adjusting the tray to accommodate the many possible media sizes can also be complicated.
Installing the automatic duplexer is pretty easy, but the piece replaces the straight-through paper-path component. If you want to use thicker media from time to time, you'll have to keep track of the straight-through feeder and reinstall it as needed. A version of the printer without the duplexer costs significantly less.
For many offices, the Officejet Pro K8600dn would be overkill. Groups who need to stretch their printing capabilities will find this machine a capable device. Its quality isn't quite good enough to replace the high-end colour lasers that larger graphics departments need; but even in that kind of environment, it might be useful for producing drafts or giving a single user their own local printer.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Never run out of printer ink with HP Instant Ink
- HP to launch 3D printers this year
- This 3D printer can rival standard manufacturing on the factory floor
- HP's new printers move the paper not the ink
- Sales of desktop 3D printers explode, growing nearly 70 per cent
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSenior Application SpecialistACT
- FTTechnical/Solutions ArchitectNSW
- CCSenior Enterprise Architect - eCommerceVIC
- FTSenior Network Engineer | National Systems Integrator & MSP | CBD locationNSW
- FTSenior DBA / Team LeadVIC
- CCContract Snr IT Assistant (IT Operation/UNIX) 160504/SITA/982Asia
- FTNV2 Defence Project Manager | Prince2 & PMBoK shop | Huge project pipelineACT
- CCSnr Technical System Engineer(IBM DB2/WebSphere)160419/STSE/vmtAsia
- CCWeb Content Developer- Angular, PHP, interface backgroundNSW
- CCBusiness Data AnalystVIC
- CCMicrosoft Server EngineerWA
- CCProject ManagerQLD
- CCProject Specialist - Contact Center and Unified CommunicationsVIC
- FTSolution Architect (Guidewire Billing Center)NSW
- FTIT Support Engineer - Managed Service Provider - No two days are the sameNSW
- CCWebOps EngineerVIC
- CCApplication Migration ArchitectACT
- CCAnalyst Programmer (JAVA/Windows Programming) 160422/AP/544Asia
- CCHi-Portfolio ConsultantNSW
- FTDigital Sales Manager - Online MediaNSW
- CCApplication Solution ArchitectNSW
- FTProduct Owner - MarketingNSW
- CCIntegration Delivery Project ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Project Manager - Payroll IntegrationVIC
- CCContract Programmer (Crystal Report/HTML/SQL) 160428/P/244Asia