Hewlett-Packard Australia ep9012
- Built-in DVD player, impressive built-in speakers and subwoofer
- Low brightness lamp, large enclosure, low native resolution
The ep9012 sports some handy features, such as the built-in DVD player and speakers, but is let down by its low brightness and high price.
Price$ 4,999.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 5 stores)
- Li-Ion Battery for Hewlett Packard Mini 210 Ser... 68.99
HP's ep9012 home cinema projector looks like something you would find on the set of 2001: A Space Odyssey, rather than in a home theatre. It's an all-in-one home theatre solution that includes an on-board DVD player and internal speakers and subwoofer. The speakers provide a crisp and clear soundtrack to your DVDs.
The ep9012's unconventional design resembles a futuristic robot head. The enclosure has a white gloss finish on top, with two internal speakers located on the sides of the machine as well as an internal DVD player. It weighs a hefty 10kg, and even though a handle is built into the enclosure, this is not a projector that is intended to be moved around.
A variety of video and audio input sources are available, including composite video, S-Video, component video, DVI, RCA audio in, digital audio out, stereo audio out and a stereo headphone jack.
Setting up the projector is a breeze. After plugging in the projector and inserting a DVD, the ep9012 automatically adjusts the image for the best configuration, and displays the image on screen.
Sources can be selected by toggling through the Source button on the remote control or the onboard controls. When playing back a DVD, users may notice the video being 'letterboxed', meaning that the widescreen video does not fill the 4:3 display completely. This is because the native resolution of the projector is 800 x 600 pixels, which is a 4:3 aspect ratio. This is an odd choice by HP, as the projector is targeted at the DVD and HDTV audience, for which the content aspect ratio is usually 16:9.
When playing back video, the ep9012 is capable of producing clear and vibrant images. The projected image does not suffer from any ghosting effects or a poor contrast ratio.
The brightness of the HP is limited, however. The lamp is only 850 ANSI lumens, which results in poor performance in situations with bright ambient light sources. When there was a source of ambient light during our testing, such as a lamp or a bit of sunshine, the range of colours on the HP seemed lacking, and the projected image was hardly viewable.
Sound quality during our testing was exceptional. The mid to high frequencies were well represented, and voice was always clear and audible. The internal subwoofer provided adequate low frequencies. The internal speaker system has only 2.1 channels, so for full surround sound, an external system would be required.
The HP ep9012 is not a bargain, especially when you consider the low brightness (suitable only for darkened home theatres) and low native resolution of the projector. The internal sound system is impressive, and would make the ep9012 appealing if you wanted an all-in-one solution, but at this price, you may find products like the Optoma MovieTime DV-10 a better option.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Sony’s new liquid-cooled 4K home video projector delivers 5000 lumens of brightness, costs $60,000
- BenQ targets Epson with revamped home entertainment projectors
- LG's new Laser Display gives you 100in of full HD glory
- Vivid Sydney 2012 gets some love from will.i.am
- InFocus releases cheap short-throw projector
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTTechnical LeadNSW
- CCIT Security Consultant -NSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160523/AP/568Asia
- CCData Engineer | Real Time StreamingNSW
- CCProject ManagerACT
- FTSenior Developer (.Net)SA
- CCQA OfficerACT
- FTNV2 Defence Project Manager | Canberra | Major exciting White Paper projectsNSW
- CCAnalyst Programmer (J2EE/Oracle/SQL*PLUS) 160519/AP/432Asia
- FTSystems EngineerACT
- CCProject Manager PMP RMP certified - NV1ACT
- CCOracle Payroll Functional ConsultantNSW
- FTDevOps SpecialistVIC
- FTStibo PIM Consultant - Permanent OpportunityNSW
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW
- CCService Desk ConsultantACT
- CCCCB & MDM ConsultantNSW
- CCMultiple .Net DevelopersNSW
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTTechnical WriterACT
- CCSolutions Architect - Enterprise ApplicationsNSW
- CCSenior Oracle Functional ConsultantSA
- CCSenior Business Analyst - NV1VIC
- CC12 months + 2x12 months | $80/hr | NV1 Project Manager | Large govt departmentACT
- FTAX Lead Technical ConsultantNSW