Hewlett-Packard Australia Compaq TC4400
- Great battery life, Nice design
This unit doesn't come cheap and for the price you might expect better performance. However, its battery life was excellent and it's a well designed machine with good functionaility.
Price$ 3,899.00 (AUD)
A convertible tablet PC with a thoughtful design and long battery life, the Hewlett-Packard Compaq TC4400 should please tablet users in the market for a robust system. However, its steep price may deter some people.
Using the included stylus in tablet mode to make handwritten notes on the 12.1in screen was easy and thanks to conveniently placed buttons on the right side, switching the screen to tabloid view was a cinch.
To further assist tablet lovers, HP has situated the fingerprint reader on the top of the screen when it's in tablet mode. And a dedicated key for the Ctrl+Alt+Del function helps users make a quick restart without having to switch to notebook mode.
As a notebook, the TC4400 works well. Its keyboard was easy to type on, and the system comes with plenty of ports, including three for USB 2.0, VGA and one for S-Video, as well as microphone and heaphone jacks. It also has a single PC card I/II slot.
In our performance tests, the TC4400 turned in good results. It aced the battery-life test, running for almost six hours under a basic productivity cycle. With its 1.8GHz Core Duo T2400 processor, 80GB hard disk and 1GB of RAM, the TC4400 mustered a score of only 84 in our World Bench 5 test suite, which is on par performance compared with similar systems.
All the usual connectivity options are supported, with 802.11 a/b/g, gigabit Ethernet and a 50Kbps modem. Bluetooth and infrared are both also present.
Weighing 2.2kg (without PSU), the TC4400 is about average size for a tablet. It also lacks a built-in optical drive, which is an extra $375 for a DVD-RW. Add that cost to the base price of $3899 and it's a fairly expensive purchase.
Still, for a well-designed notebook with seamless tablet functionality, some users may find that cost acceptable.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Asus ROG teases a massive gaming notebook that outperforms Titan X
- Chromebooks beat Mac notebooks 1.4-to-1 in U.S.
- Guess how much HP sold its gold- and diamond-encrusted laptops for?
- No Play Store for old Chromebooks
- Google is bringing Android apps to Chromebooks
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCIBM Sterling Developer + IBM Sterling Team LeaderNSW
- CCSenior Programmer (Data Engineering)NSW
- FTLinux Infrastructure EngineerVIC
- CCLinux AdministratorVIC
- CCIT Security Consultant -NSW
- CCTechnical Digital Producer / Requirements EngineerNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCContract Computer Operator (UNIX/Windows-based) 1610524/CCO/vmtAsia
- CCOracle Payroll Functional ConsultantNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - TelcoVIC
- FTTechnical LeadNSW
- CCCCB & MDM ConsultantNSW
- FTAzure ConsultantQLD
- CCSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCApplication DevelopersQLD
- CCEnd to End Project Manager - PMO and GovernanceVIC
- CCOpen Source Specialist / Senior ConsultantQLD
- FTManaging Security ConsultantQLD
- FTDynamics Project ManagerNSW
- FTSystems EngineerACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (MS SQL Server/C#.NET)160520/AP/vmtAsia
- CCSolutions Architect - SAP HANAQLD
- CCTransition Manager / Project ManagerQLD
- CCService Desk ConsultantACT
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW