Hauppauge Nova-t PCI
- Stable performance, excellent time shifting features, easy channel scan
The Nova-t PCI is a great card and its software is very reliable. Its recording and playback performance was excellent in our tests and the WinTV Nova-t software package was easy to use.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
Hauppauge's Nova-t PCI card has been around for a while now, and so has its software player, WinTV Nova-t. This software is very stable and more than capable of decent recording, scheduling and timeshifting. Its interface is simple, with the list of channels and control functions on the left of the screen and the main TV window (with "now" and "next" program information) to the right.
Its recording performance is among the best we have seen, as it allows you to pause and resume a recording, which is perfect for cutting out commercial breaks while watching what you are recording. Think back to the days when you patiently sat through recording a program on your VCR with your finger on the pause button in anticipation of the ad break. Another neat feature is that you can record in the background with the video and sound functions off.
When timeshifting is initiated, it launches a little window of its own that is used for pausing, playing and navigating timeshifted data. In addition, a little checkbox allows you to decide whether you want timeshifted data to be deleted automatically or whether you want to keep it, which can come in pretty handy.
One quirk we did find with the software relates to its volume control. If you change the volume within WinTV Nova-t and then exit the program, your WAVE volume will be set to the level of the WinTV Nova-t's volume, affecting the rest of your programs that rely on audio.
For couch-dwellers, the Nova-t PCI ships with a nifty little remote that works very well with WinTV Nova-t. In terms of picture quality, SD and HD programming looked magnificent during testing and the tuner's ability to find all available channels on the first scan was impressive.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Surprise! Nvidia reveals a new Pascal-powered Titan X and it looks like an utter monster
- Seagate's 10TB Barracuda Pro is the world's largest consumer hard drive
- 3DMark Time Spy tested: We pit Radeon vs. GeForce in this major new DX12 benchmark
- Nvidia's powerful Ansel screenshot tool and amusing VR Funhouse demo go live
- Tested: AMD's new driver fixes the Radeon RX 480's power draw and boosts performance
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCProject Manager/ Sr PMO Analyst - Consulting BackgroundNSW
- CCCRM DeveloperACT
- FTMidrange Server Provision SMENSW
- CCProject Services CoordinatorACT
- CCeLearning Developer / Learning Management System AdministratorACT
- FTPortfolio Governance AnalystVIC
- FTDatabase DeveloperACT
- CCSenior Tester - Automation / Telecommunications (Urgent)NSW
- CCBusiness Intelligence Developer - Initial 3mth ContractVIC
- FTSAP FS-PM/FS-PQM SpecialistVIC
- CCIP & Fixed Enablement SpecialistVIC
- CCField Engineer - POSTAS
- CCChange CoordinatorNSW
- CCIP Test Analyst - Baseline Security ClearanceVIC
- CCChange Portfolio ManagerNSW
- CCContract IT Assistant (Office Automation/PC LAN) 160802/ITA/991Asia
- CCTest Manager - Baseline SecurityVIC
- FTProject ManagerVIC
- CCPMO ManagerVIC
- FTOPEN_ASAP_Configuration ManagerACT
- CCLead DevOps ConsultantVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (HTML/JAVA/UNIX) 160804/AP/172Asia
- FTSystems EngineerNSW
- CCSales Support Associate - TelecommunicationsNSW