H&M Software StudioLine Photo 2.10
With strong editing tools, a thumbnail preview pane, sharing and online uploading and an integrated link so files can be sent direct to an online print shop, this is an excellent program.
Price$ None (AUD)
Titularly speaking, it's reminiscent of both a cheap 'n' cheerful clothes store and an Eighties hair product - but these aren't StudioLine's only plus points.
For starters, you can name image files and folders as you wish, and add information such as when and where a shot was taken, so tracking down that snap of Aunt Dora with her long-lost sister becomes a doddle. In fact, the Descriptor dialog panel can be jam-packed with detail.
The effective editing tools are backed up with huge thumbnail previews. Double-click on a picture and a screen splitter appears in the image viewer that lets you see before and after effects.
We sharpened a fuzzy snap of a duck taken using too much zoom and watched the transformation occur as we dragged the Sharpen slider bar. Impressive. When you've applied an edit to an image, StudioLine tags its thumbnail with an icon indicating the tool last applied and the strength used. There's also a drop-down history pane listing the other changes.
In fact, StudioLine provides exceptionally useful and in-context information via pop-up help panes at every stage so there's little need to root around Help menus. The tools are easy to locate and apply and you can customise the onscreen setup by docking and undocking tools that you commonly or rarely use. Once it's got an image in its archive, StudioLine automatically saves edited files separately from the original so you don't need to worry about accidentally overwriting it - a nifty provision making for easy recovery of unwittingly ruined files.
StudioLine has more than basic editing features, with tools such as history/action tracking. This ensures your end-product is as detailed as the original.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Lexar® Portable SSD
Huawei Mate 9
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Acer Swift 7
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Google Daydream VR headset
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 2 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- 3 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 4 Garmin Fenix Chronos fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 5 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung unveils Bixby voice assistant for upcoming Galaxy S8
- Pwn2Own hacking contest ends with two virtual machine escapes
- It's time to turn on HTTPS: the benefits are well worth the effort
- Windows Vista has just 30 days to live
- Panasonic pushes buttons with smart home prototypes at SXSW
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Behind the scenes with Team Walkinshaw at V8 Supercars Melbourne 2017
- And the 2017 winner of the Formula 1 Best Pit Lane Boom Gantry is...
- First look at the Formula 1 2017 pit lane in Melbourne, Australia
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- CCProject AdministratorNSW
- CCAutomation Developer - LinuxNSW
- TPGIS Resource Data & TestingQLD
- TPTechnical ArchitectVIC
- TPSAP BA - Source to PayQLD
- FTNV1 Cleared Software Engineer - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW
- CCICT Strategist and AdvisorNSW
- FTApplication Support LeadQLD
- FTOracle Forms PL/SQL Analyst ProgrammerQLD
- FTSystem EngineersVIC
- FTSoftware Tech Lead - C++ Back Office Trading SystemsNSW
- FTAgile CoachVIC
- TPBusiness Analyst - AgileQLD
- CCPerformance TesterQLD
- FTAutomation TesterQLD
- CCChange AnalystVIC
- FTProject AnalystACT
- CC.NET Developer!QLD
- FTLead Network Project ManagerNSW
- CCSofware Developer/Architect - Media and telco Network Operations - MelbourneVIC
- FTSAP Logistics ConsultantNSW
- FTLevel 2 Technical Support OfficerQLD
- FTPolicy & Programme OfficerACT
- CCPMO Analyst - Financial ServicesNSW