Grundig UMS 555
- Can record CD tracks and radio to MP3 format, support for USB and SD/MMC cards, easy to use
- Sound range is limited and geared towards pop and modern rock
Overall it's quite a respectable unit, which will suit casual users.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
Grundig's UMS 555 is an attractively designed Hi-Fi system. Although audio quality isn't great, its small size and collection of nifty features, along with its relatively low price, make it an attractive option for users looking for a simple CD and MP3 playing system. The integration of a USB and SD/MMC card slot is one of the unit's biggest advantages, which allows recording from CD straight to MP3 format.
A limited sound range is probably the unit's biggest drawback. Audio is quite clear at moderate listening volumes, although it does suffer when the volume is cranked. For the unit's price range, its quality is respectable; however, treble tends to be quite flat and is often overpowered by a more dominant mid-range. The UMS 555 does quite a good job with punchy bass, but slower and more lingering lower frequency tracks aren't handled as well. The overall performance of this product is well suited to most pop and modern rock songs; however fans of classical or jazz will find that it is unable to do these genres as much justice.
Still, what the UMS 555 lacks in audio quality, it makes up for in utility, with the ability to record tracks off CDs straight to MP3 format, to either USB devices or SD/MMC cards. This feature is integrated quite well, and can be accessed with a single-button press on the remote. Although it's not a hugely original or powerful feature, the simplicity of its integration and use make it a valuable addition to the product.
The interface is relatively simple, with a well laid out remote and buttons on the unit itself. Navigating the menu can be a little tricky, with the small LED screen on the front; however, the overall simplicity of the system means that this isn't a commonly accessed feature. The EQ includes five presets as well as a custom option, which is nice to see on a system at this price point.
Grundig has included an impressive amount of versatility in the UMS 555, with its ability to play radio, CDs, MP3s and WMAs on either USB memory, data CDs or SD/MMC cards. Other options such as random/repeat, a headphone jack, and sleep timer round it off nicely.
Overall the UMS 555 is a relatively versatile product. Considering its price point the sound quality is quite reasonable, and it brings some nifty and useful features as well. It's far and away from a high-end audio product, but should be well suited as a bedroom or kid's room unit.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Google Daydream VR headset
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Lexar® Portable SSD
Huawei Mate 9
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Surface Pro 4
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
- AirTV's slick marriage of Sling TV and OTA channels isn't in the product yet
- Here's what's coming next from Sling TV
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPSOE AdministratorQLD
- CCDevops EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Database AdministratorVIC
- FTSenior Functional Consultant - Data Analytics - TelcoVIC
- FTInfrastructure Business AnalystNSW
- CCADABAS Natural DeveloperNSW
- TPSenior Test AnalystQLD
- FTSecurity Engineer - Permanent - IT Services - SydneyNSW
- FTSenior Systems AdministratorWA
- FTService Desk Analyst / Security EngineerQLD
- FTData Conversion LeadNSW
- FTEnterprise ArchitectQLD
- FTJunior Software Developer - SASACT
- CCTest AnalystQLD
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerNSW
- FTDigital Sales Account Manager - Global BrandNSW
- CCProject Support SpecialistVIC
- FTTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- FTWeb Developer / Applications AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net Developer with Strong SQL DevNSW
- CCSenior Project Coordinator - Banking/Financial ServicesNSW
- FTJunior Software Engineer - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)NSW
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)ACT
- FTBusiness AnalystNSW
- TPIT Project Officer - TMRQLD