Grundig Meglio GLED2211HDV LED TV
Grundig Meglio review: A small-screen LED TV that’s got good picture quality and a modern design
- Good detail levels from a small panel
- Modern, thin design
- Speakers distort at high volumes
- No tilt for the screen
Grundig's Meglio GLED2211HDV LED TV is small but is still able to display a good quality picture. Casual viewers will be happy with the screen's contrast and detail, and the design is modern. Unless you're viewing from an awkward angle or need loud speakers, the Meglio is a competent TV with the additional convenience of a built-in DVD player.
Price$ 499.00 (AUD)
The Grundig Meglio is a slim LED-backlit LCD TV with a built-in DVD player, multimedia support over USB and optional recording and time-shifting of live TV. Its small size makes it well suited to an office, study or bedroom but we would have liked the screen to be more versatile.
Grundig Meglio LED TV: Design, setup and connectivity
The Meglio's stand swivels left to right with a good range of motion, but we were disappointed that it didn't have any up-down tilt available. Given the small size of the screen, we think this would have been an easy and useful inclusion. If the Grundig Meglio is sitting too far above or below your line of vision, colour and screen brightness can be lost.
The Grundig Meglio has two HDMI ports, a single USB port, a few analog video connectors and a side-mounting slim DVD player. The USB is annoyingly on the downward-facing panel at the rear of the TV rather than the side, but since the Meglio is light and small it’s not a huge inconvenience.
We plugged the Grundig Meglio into a Apple MacBook Pro to test the screen's video and audio performance, as well as a Kogan Blu-ray player. We also tested multimedia over USB — MKV, AVI, WMA, MP4 and MOV video files work perfectly, as do MP3, WMA and AAC audio files — and ran through a few DVDs in the inbuilt DVD player.
Grundig Meglio LED TV: Picture quality and performance
The Grundig Meglio's 22in 1080p LED-backlit LCD screen has good picture quality if you're viewing it front-on. Moving horizontally slowly robs colour clarity and brightness, but the screen's poor vertical viewing angle is its main impediment. If you have the Grundig Meglio TV at or near eye level, this won't be an issue.
In ideal viewing conditions the Meglio is able to display a good level of detail, similar to the Vanto (although at a slightly smaller screen size). We watched The Dark Knight and Terminator: Salvation to determine the screen's contrast performance; at default settings the screen tends to wash out highlights a little but lowering brightness meant we could see a reasonable amount of detail in both dark and bright areas. Any casual viewer will be happy with the Grundig Meglio GLED2211HDV for watching TV, DVD or most Blu-ray movies.
We played a number of MKV and MP4 files at 1080p and 720p resolution on the Grundig Meglio to give it a test run. All 720p and all but one 1080p files worked without any errors occurring, with most files starting playback within ten seconds. If you download a lot of video files from the Internet, the Grundig Meglio is a capable choice for playback — it supports all the most common file formats and can handle high-definition content.
The DVD player of the Grundig Meglio is near-silent, starts quickly and operates without any slow-down or undue fuss. If you're mainly going to be using the Meglio for TV or DVD watching, we don't see a reason to purchase a standalone Blu-ray player or media streamer.
Grundig Meglio LED TV: Conclusion
The Grundig Meglio is a competent small-screen LED TV. Its built-in DVD player and integrated USB playback add some extra value to an otherwise simple screen. If you're looking for a small screen for an office or workspace the Meglio doesn't have any glaring flaws in picture quality or performance, but you'll need to accommodate the stand's lack of tilt.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Latest News Articles
- Japan starts 8K TV broadcasts in time for Rio Olympics
- Android TV's universal search feature finally works with Netflix
- Vizio’s latest 4K TVs make eye-popping HDR more affordable
- Netflix flips the switch on eye-popping HDR video streaming
- Sony’s pricey Ultra video-streaming service goes live today, but you'll need a new high-end 4K Sony TV to use it
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCSenior IT Assistant (Office Automation/PC LAN) 160817/SITA/902Asia
- CCSenior Solutions Architect - SIEMVIC
- FTPrincipal Business Consultant- Wealth ManagementNSW
- CCContract Programmer (IT Security/Website Admin.) 160824/P/567Asia
- CCProject AnalystVIC
- CCSr. Project Manager- Infrastructure- Data Centre,VirtualizationNSW
- CCJunior SQL DBA - Entry LevelVIC
- FTCapacity PlannerNSW
- FTDefence Network EngineerACT
- CCProject Manager - PCI DSS / IMACSQLD
- CCSenior Business Analyst/Designer, Funds ManagementNSW
- FTApplications Support / Systems Administrator | DefenceACT
- CCOpen_2pm_29/8_Teradata Database AdministratorACT
- FTDB2 Systems ProgrammerWA
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160824/AP/187Asia
- CCChange AnalystNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Unix/Linux/Web) 160819/AP/173Asia
- CCMurex Developers x 2NSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (IT Application/Web) 160825/AP/183Asia
- CCSalesforce CRM ManagerNSW
- CCProject ManagerVIC
- CCContract Senior Systems Analyst (C++/JBoss) 160819/SSA/892Asia
- CCInfrastructure Project Manager (12-month renewable contract)Asia
- CCSenior Project Manager, Cyber Security TransformationNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Oracle SQL/.Net) 160812/AP/vhsAsia