Grundig DAB+ iPod Docking Radio (GDR710DABIP) digital radio
The Grundig DAB+ iPod Docking Radio combines a digital radio receiver and an iPod dock
- Interesting design, DAB+ digital radio
- No alarm clock function, bass lacks richness, treble occasionally lacks clarity
The Grundig DAB+ iPod Docking Radio (GDR710DABIP) has a DAB+ digital radio receiver and an iPod dock. We would have liked it to have an alarm clock and better sound quality, but it is a fairly good package at this price.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
The Grundig DAB+ iPod Docking Radio (GDR710DABIP) is a digital radio and iPod dock with two speakers and a tuner for receiving conventional FM radio.
With digital radio being rolled out by 1 July in Australia at the latest, it's a good time to upgrade to a DAB+ radio. We've already reviewed the Sangean DPR-99 DAB+ Radio and a range of other manufacturers (such as Yamaha and Tivoli) will soon be releasing digital radios.
The Grundig DAB+ iPod Docking Radio (GDR710DABIP) has an attractive design, with a piano-black chassis and curved sides. Its two 2W speakers are hidden under a felt cover and control buttons sit on either side of the iPod dock.
The two-line FSTN display (a form of LCD) shows information such as station name and a clock (which can be automatically set using digital radio signals). Unfortunately, the Grundig DAB+ iPod Docking Radio (GDR710DABIP) doesn't have an alarm clock function, which is disappointing considering the price.
Signal acquisition for both DAB+ digital and FM radio is simple thanks to the automatic scanning. Although the initial basic scan failed to locate any digital radio stations, the full scan locked on to all 11 currently broadcast in Sydney.
The iPod dock is compatible with the iPhone. The Grundig DAB+ iPod Docking Radio's remote control offers full iPod menu control and is easy to use. You can plug the Grundig DAB+ iPod Docking Radio into a power point or use six C-cell batteries.
The Grundig DAB+ iPod Docking Radio pumps out enough sound to fill a small to medium room, but it distorts at high volume levels. Mid-range notes sound smooth, but the lack of bass is quite noticeable. While listening to Green Onions by Booker T. & the M.G.'s, the track's deep bass wasn't adequately represented and lacked power. The Grundig DAB+ iPod Docking Radio lets you manually increase the level of bass but it does so at the expense of mid-range.
Although the two 3in speakers have no trouble hitting the high notes, we found that treble occasionally sounded slightly muffled. When listening to The Flower Duet from the opera Lakmé the high notes weren't clear enough, but this is expected for a device at this price point.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Google quietly kills its Nexus Player as Chromecast overshadows Android TV
- How to customize the Apple TV (fourth-generation) home screen
- YouTube's Content ID program finally provides for ad revenue during disputes
- Sony cranks up optical disc storage to 3.3TB
- Hands-on with Surface Hub: Microsoft's huge tablet has some productivity holes
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CC.NET DeveloperQLD
- CCService Management Specialist / ITILNSW
- FTMidrange Server Provision SMENSW
- FTSenior Oracle Functional Analyst (Finance)VIC
- FTSoftware Tester | Innovation | Business FacingNSW
- FTSAP Basis ConsultantVIC
- CCReport Business Analyst- BI, Oracle, SAP, TableauNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/Oracle) 160801/AP/258Asia
- FTApplication Support AnalystSA
- CCInfrastructure Solution DesignerACT
- CCSenior Tester - Automation / Telecommunications (Urgent)NSW
- FTSAP ESB Service Management SpecialistVIC
- FTSystem Integration EngineerACT
- FTMobile DeveloperWA
- CCDeployment ManagerACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (HTML/JAVA/UNIX) 160804/AP/172Asia
- FTDefence Network EngineerACT
- CCSAP BODS ConsultantNSW
- CCTest Manager - Baseline SecurityVIC
- FTFull stack (back end focus) Java Developer | Defence | NV1ACT
- CCSenior Systems SpecialistNSW
- CCSenior Agile Java/Spring/AngularJS EngineerNSW
- CCSAP Payroll Implement/Migration Project Manager/ SpecialistNSW
- CCIncident ManagerSA