Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5
- Easy to use
- Fails to flag suspicious additions to HKLM 'Run' keys, lacks antiphishing protection
In the end, Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5 is a pretty solid program with the strongest signature database we tested, but it falls short in behaviour-based protection against unknown threats.
Price$ 42.50 (AUD)
Grisoft, well known for the AVG Anti-Virus software, purchased Ewido Networks in 2006 and reworked its anti-spyware technology into Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5. The sleek-looking program recognised, on average, the largest percentage of threats. Unfortunately, Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5 suffers from poor behaviour-based protection and a high false-positive rate.
During tests Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5 proved itself adept at uncovering known adware and spyware. Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5 detected 19 of 20 active samples (ones installed on the test PC), missing only the Banbra Trojan horse, which attempts to collect online-banking credentials. Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5 was also by far the best at recognising our large stable of inactive adware, keyloggers, bank-related spyware programs and rootkits - a testament to the breadth of its signature database.
But when Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5 didn't recognise the threat, its behaviour-based detection failed to flag suspicious additions to HKLM 'Run' keys, changes to the default Internet Explorer start and search pages, and alterations of our test system's Hosts file. As a result, Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5 may allow unknown threats to tamper with key areas of your PC. Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5 was also the only product we tested to produce false positives.
Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5 deactivated 50 per cent of the spyware files and Registry entries we introduced - the second-best showing among the five Vista-tested programs. Unfortunately, Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5 successfully cleaned only 30 per cent of adware files and Registry entries.
Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5 is easy to use, with self-explanatory icons at the top of the main interface. On the down side, Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5 lacks antiphishing protection to keep you from going to fraudulent financial sites looking for personal information, and it has no POP3, IMAP or SMTP scanning to block e-mail-borne spyware threats.
Also, you can't set a system restore point in case you accidentally delete critical files during Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5's disinfection routine. If you opt for Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5, consider purchasing it through a third-party distributor that offers phone support. Grisoft's own customer support is limited to e-mail communications.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Lexar® Portable SSD
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Google Daydream VR headset
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Huawei Mate 9
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Acer Swift 7
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Surface Pro 4
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 3 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- 4 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 5 Garmin Fenix Chronos fitness tracker smartwatch review
Latest News Articles
- LastPass is scrambling to fix another serious vulnerability
- BlackBerry readies a more secure version of the Samsung Galaxy S7
- After CIA leak, Intel Security releases detection tool for EFI rootkits
- Cisco on CIA WikiLeaks revelations: It’s not our problem… this time
- Old Windows malware may have tampered with 132 Android apps
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
- Subaru XV 2017 review
- LG G6: unboxing, hands on review and detail shots
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- FTIT Business Process Analyst x 3 - (government background)NSW
- CC.Net Developer - SilverlightVIC
- FTMarketing Specialist (B2B Sales)NSW
- CCAutomation Developer - LinuxNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst - SuperannuationNSW
- FTSolution Architect l MS Exchange, O365NSW
- FTDesign Specialist - TelecomNSW
- FTDatabase DeveloperACT
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Financial MarketsVIC
- FTDigital Business Analyst X 2 vacancies- Digital TransformationNSW
- TPGIS Resource Data & TestingQLD
- CCFinancial/Logistics Administration OfficerACT
- TPBusiness AnalystVIC
- TPFrontend Developer (React)NSW
- TPSenior .NET Developer - Contract roleWA
- FTApplication Support Analyst - Mortgage SolutionNSW
- TPProject SchedulerVIC
- TPSenior .Net Software DeveloperQLD
- FTEnterprise ArchitectQLD
- FTInfrastructure Project Manager Office 365 ImplementationVIC
- TPSalesforce Functional AnalystNSW
- FTETL Informatica DeveloperNSW
- FTInfrastructure ArchitectWA