Griffin TuneBuds mobile
Decent sound and easy call handling
- Audio quality, comfort, ControlMic button
- Cable near connector does look worn after a few days use, treble lacks clarity
Audiophiles won’t be impressed, but many other people will be happy with these convenient and versatile headphones for the iPhone.
Best Deals (Selling at 2 stores)
With the pending launch of Apple's iPhone 3G around the globe, the demand for iPhone accessories will only increase. Designed for the original iPhone's recessed headphone jack but slotting into any standard 3.5mm headphone jack, Griffin's TuneBuds mobile headphones offer relatively good sound, and are also able to handle phone calls.
The TuneBuds are certainly stylish, with glossy ear buds and a nylon braided cable. The cable feels strong and durable. We did note that when in our pocket, the nature of the 3.5mm jack connector means the cable just above the connector tends to look slightly worn after a few days of use.
The best feature of the TuneBuds is the small ControlMic button, allowing you to answer and reject incoming calls. When a call comes in, the music quietens and the ring tone plays through the headphones. A simple button press answers the call, while holding down the button for two seconds or longer sends it to your voicemail (if this feature is active). Despite only one button being present, you can use it for controlling music playback in addition to handling voice calls — simply press the button once to play or pause the current track, or twice to skip to the next track.
Sound quality is very reasonable, though audiophiles won't be excited. Most people will definitely be pleased, as the audio quality is much better than what you'll get out of the standard iPhone ear buds. Overall, audio is neutral throughout the frequency range, though there is a slight emphasis on the mid-bass range.
Although treble is even, it's a little muffled and does lack clarity; this produces an echoey sound on certain tracks. Bass levels are very good, and the bass gives the music a smooth sound without overpowering any of the instruments.
Comfort is excellent. The included silicone ear cushions work well and Griffin includes three different-sized sets of them in the box. If fitted correctly, your ears will be mostly isolated from outside noise, although there is still a level of audible background noise.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Blackberry announces DETK50, a secure US$299 Android phone
- Samsung files artificial muscle patent for use in flexible smartphones
- The affordable new Moto E grows in size, but not price
- Qualcomm's Snapdragon 821 is now the company's fastest mobile chip
- Snapchat launches Memories so you can save and search for past stories
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCBusiness Analyst / BillingNSW
- FT1st Level IT Support - Microsoft EnvironmentNSW
- FTFull-Stack .NET DeveloperVIC
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160729/P/698Asia
- CCSenior Systems SpecialistNSW
- FTSAP ESB Service Management SpecialistVIC
- CCIteration Manager/Project ManagerVIC
- CCNetwork DesignerNSW
- CCBusiness Project ManagerVIC
- FTAndroid Technical Lead (Work From Home 2-3 Days)NSW
- FTApplication Support AnalystSA
- CCLead Business AnalystNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Oracle) 160728/AP/623Asia
- CCFrontend DevelopersQLD
- FTProgram Master SchedulerVIC
- FTCloud EngineerVIC
- CCSAP FICO Consultant/SAP FICO Stream LeadNSW
- FTFull Stack DeveloperNSW
- CCApplication Tester - Windows 10 ProjectWA
- FTCitrix SpecialistACT
- CCMessaging EngineerNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160726/AP/186Asia
- CCTechnical Architect - CloudNSW
- CCSenior Architect - CloudVIC