GoToMyPC GoToMyPC remote access software
With its slightly unfriendly user interface, GoToMyPC is best for those that wish to work remotely but don't need to share files with others. The service is useful for remote troubleshooting.
Price$ 179.40 (AUD)
GoToMyPC is just as easy to use as LogMeIn and marginally more secure. To set up you simply download the software and create an account with a username and password.
However, GoToMyPC also requires an access code to be assigned to each system to provide an extra layer of security. The software lacks LogMeIn's clear interface but, once we'd entered the access code, the target PC's desktop was immediately visible.
The service then works in the same way as LogMeIn, allowing you to open and edit documents and launch any program on the remote PC. Files can be transferred to and from either PC at the click of a button, although we found the drag-and-drop method to work equally well.
Transferring an 18MB file between PCs took slightly longer than LogMeIn: seven minutes. But the ability to use both PCs while GoToMyPC session is in progress impressed us. A chat function lets you interact between the two systems, which should be useful for situations when you're using the service to sort out others' PC problems.
Unlike LogMeIn, GoToMyPC doesn't enable you to securely share files with others. However, a dedicated option allows you to print documents stored on the target PC through a device connected to the local system; it's also possible to listen to music and system sounds through the local PC.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- How Microsoft is building on Windows 10, and why developers care
- Google Chrome dethrones Internet Explorer to become undisputed browser champion
- YouTube's Content ID program finally provides for ad revenue during disputes
- Facebook gives Windows 10 a hug with new Facebook, Messenger, and Instagram apps
- Elon Musk says Tesla’s next-gen Model 4 will be affordable for everyone
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTDigital Sales Manager - Online MediaNSW
- CCProject ManagerQLD
- CCSenior Front End / UI Developer (React.js / LESS / SASS)NSW
- CCSCCM - SCOM - AD Systems EngineerNSW
- CCJava Developer - multiple opportunitiesNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystSA
- FTNetwork ConsultantNSW
- CCServiceNow / SACM ConsultantNSW
- CCITIL Environment, Configuration, Release Manager- Banking/GovtNSW
- CCSenior UX/UI DesignerNSW
- FTBusiness Intelligence ConsultantSA
- FTFunctional Kronos ConsultantNSW
- CCOperational Team LeadVIC
- FTTechnical/Solutions ArchitectNSW
- CCSolution ArchitectVIC
- FTFront End DeveloperVIC
- CCTest AnalystQLD
- CCInfrastructure Solution Designer - Oracle Exadata/ExalogicVIC
- CCAccount Manager - Software Solutions - Global IT CompanyNSW
- FTTechnical Writer - Trading SystemsNSW
- CCTest Analyst - Contact Centre TechnologiesVIC
- CCSenior Financial Crime AnalystVIC
- CCContract Contract Junior Programmer (JUD-16493-4)Asia
- CCAdobe Experience Manager AEM / CQ5 DeveloperNSW
- CCSystem AnalystNSW