- Fun, Free
- Not fully functional
It’s worth waiting for file storage and instant messaging functions to be added. Only then will it be a powerful productivity tool and allow for safe backups of your work that you can access and edit from anywhere.
Goowy's name is derived from the pronunciation of the common computer acronym GUI, which stands for graphical user interface. Its aim is to become an online desktop that can be accessed from anywhere for people who need to access information remotely. Goowy unifies email, calendar, contacts, RSS, games and widgets functions into one central interface within your browser window. It looks just like a desktop application, albeit with a Macintosh-like feel.
To get started, you simply go straight to the Goowy Web site (www.goowy.com) and sign up. You can then easily import your contacts from Gmail, Hotmail or Yahoo. From here, you can manage your contacts and calendar entries in a similar way that you would organise these on your Windows desktop using Outlook.
Since the contacts and calendar data is constantly being pulled from the Web, there is a little more lag than you would experience if the data was being pulled off your hard drive, however it was fast on my ADSL2 connection, and there is a "lite version" for those with lower bandwidths. A downloadable desktop client is also available, which can receive e-mails.
As it stands - without file storage implemented - Goowy is almost on par with Windows Live Mail Beta, which has calendar integration. The most impressive part of Goowy is that it is a platform that will hopefully unify the online workspace, something that Google is looking to do with their new acquisition of Writely, the online word processor.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- How Microsoft is building on Windows 10, and why developers care
- Google Chrome dethrones Internet Explorer to become undisputed browser champion
- YouTube's Content ID program finally provides for ad revenue during disputes
- Facebook gives Windows 10 a hug with new Facebook, Messenger, and Instagram apps
- Elon Musk says Tesla’s next-gen Model 4 will be affordable for everyone
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTData AnalystNSW
- CCServiceNow / SACM ConsultantNSW
- FTGentrack ConsultantVIC
- CCSharepoint DeveloperVIC
- CCSAP BW developerVIC
- CCSales Development Executive - Software SolutionsNSW
- CCData Management & Reporting Development OfficerSA
- CCPortfolio Manager - Customer Service SystemVIC
- CCApplication Migration ArchitectACT
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/HTML/SQL) 160421/P/903Asia
- CCEnterprise Architect (Security)NSW
- CCChange Manager x 2NSW
- FTDigital Project ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Enterprise Architect - eCommerceVIC
- CCSr. Iteration ManagerVIC
- CCChange Lead/Senior Change Analyst - Transformation projectNSW
- CCSystem admin with SQL server experience | Defence-wide project | NV1 neededACT
- FTDigital Sales Manager - Online MediaNSW
- CCOperational Team LeadVIC
- FTTechnical Business Analyst - BINSW
- FTSenior Middleware Lead Shared Services (Support and EngineeringVIC
- CCSenior Financial Crime AnalystVIC
- FTVendor Manager / Team Lead - ITIL / ITSMVIC
- CCData AnalystVIC
- CCHealthcare Test SpecialistSA