- Fun, Free
- Not fully functional
It’s worth waiting for file storage and instant messaging functions to be added. Only then will it be a powerful productivity tool and allow for safe backups of your work that you can access and edit from anywhere.
Goowy's name is derived from the pronunciation of the common computer acronym GUI, which stands for graphical user interface. Its aim is to become an online desktop that can be accessed from anywhere for people who need to access information remotely. Goowy unifies email, calendar, contacts, RSS, games and widgets functions into one central interface within your browser window. It looks just like a desktop application, albeit with a Macintosh-like feel.
To get started, you simply go straight to the Goowy Web site (www.goowy.com) and sign up. You can then easily import your contacts from Gmail, Hotmail or Yahoo. From here, you can manage your contacts and calendar entries in a similar way that you would organise these on your Windows desktop using Outlook.
Since the contacts and calendar data is constantly being pulled from the Web, there is a little more lag than you would experience if the data was being pulled off your hard drive, however it was fast on my ADSL2 connection, and there is a "lite version" for those with lower bandwidths. A downloadable desktop client is also available, which can receive e-mails.
As it stands - without file storage implemented - Goowy is almost on par with Windows Live Mail Beta, which has calendar integration. The most impressive part of Goowy is that it is a platform that will hopefully unify the online workspace, something that Google is looking to do with their new acquisition of Writely, the online word processor.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft dials back Windows 10 upgrades to 2X a year
- First look: Nuheara IQbuds smart Bluetooth ear buds do more than just music
- Use Feedback Hub to complain to Microsoft about Windows 10
- Netflix's Fast.com download tester takes its war against slow ISPs directly to the user
- New Windows 10 Mobile preview adds handy web features, but kills Wi-Fi Sense
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTAgile Implementation LeadNSW
- CCTransition Manager / Project ManagerQLD
- FTService Desk AnaylstNSW
- CCProject CoordinatorACT
- FTSenior Team Leader Applications SupportACT
- CCSenior IT Security Specialist-SANS, ISC2, ISACA, ITILNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE/Oracle) 160520/AP/985Asia
- FTSOE SpecialistACT
- CCSenior Business Analyst, Contributions TaxNSW
- CCHR Systems Support OfficerACT
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Integration Solution ManagementVIC
- CCSenior Oracle Functional ConsultantSA
- CCTechnical Business Analyst, SuperannuationNSW
- CCSoftware Engineer (Client facing) - Publisher SolutionsNSW
- FTTechnical WriterACT
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTSolution ArchitectACT
- CCICT Contracts and Procurement SpecialistACT
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- CCSenior Program DirectorNSW
- CCBig Data DeveloperWA
- CCSoftware DevelopersACT
- CCIT Assistant (Lotus Notes/LAN/Anti-Virus) 160524/ITA/074Asia
- CCData Engineer | Real Time StreamingNSW
- CCInfrastructure and Cloud Project ManagerVIC