Google Nexus Q media streamer (preview)
Google's new media player streams music and movies from Android
- Interesting approach to media streaming
- No plans for Australia
Google's Nexus Q hinges on sharing and collaborating to build music and video playlists with your friends -- it's a 'social' media streamer.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
The Nexus Q is a new, orb-shaped media streaming device from Google, just announced before the Google I/O conference. The Nexus Q is, according to Google, "the first social streaming media player".
The Google Nexus Q partners with an Android smartphone or tablet, and can stream music and videos from the Google Play store to a TV and sound system. Its killer feature is that you and your friends (using Android devices) can team up to create playlists of music and video clips on the fly.
The new media streamer, which hasn't been announced for Australia — we've only just got the first generation of Google TV products here in the form of the Sony Internet TV Player — can also power a pair of speakers, positioning it as a Frankeinstein's Media Streamer cobbled together from the innards of the Apple TV and Sonos Play:5.
Like the Sonos system, you can have multiple Google Nexus Q players synced in different rooms of your house, playing music and video clips from a single source.
The Google Nexus Q runs an OMAP4460 processor based on the 1.5GHz dual-core ARM Cortex-A9 — this is a processor that can handle 1080p Full HD video streaming without consuming as much power as a PC or Blu-ray player. It's got 16GB of on-board memory for apps, 1GB of RAM, built-in Wi-Fi and runs Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich: broadly similar specs to the Samsung-Google Nexus smartphone from 2011.
Update: Google has told Good Gear Guide that there are "no plans for the Q in Australia at this stage."
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Sony cranks up optical disc storage to 3.3TB
- Hands-on with Surface Hub: Microsoft's huge tablet has some productivity holes
- Indiepix Unlimited wants to be the Netflix of independent film
- Denon's latest S-Series A/V receivers are built for 4K Ultra HD video and 3D audio
- New Roku Streaming Stick allows private listening via your mobile device
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCChange Manager x 2NSW
- FTManager; Enterprise ArchitectureNSW
- CCChange Lead/Senior Change Analyst - Transformation projectNSW
- FTAGILE Training Manager/CoachNSW
- CCAdobe Experience Manager AEM / CQ5 DeveloperNSW
- CCOnline Shop Operations Consultant (eCommerce)VIC
- CCProject ManagerQLD
- CCDigital Project ManagerNSW
- CCApplication Solution ArchitectNSW
- CCProject ManagerQLD
- CCFront End DeveloperVIC
- CCSolution ArchitectVIC
- CCHi-Portfolio ConsultantNSW
- FTVendor Manager / Team Lead - ITIL / ITSMVIC
- CCSenior DevOps ConsultantVIC
- CCSenior Project Manager - HealthcareVIC
- CCMS Biz Talk ConsultantNSW
- CCData Management & Reporting Development OfficerSA
- CCSales Development Executive - Flexible Working HoursNSW
- FTSenior Network Engineer | National Systems Integrator & MSP | CBD locationNSW
- FTDeveloper - OSB/BPELNSW
- FTHands-on Service Desk Team Lead | Blackburn | Managed Service ProviderVIC
- CCTechnical ExpertVIC
- CCContract Analyst/Programmer II (Drupal 7.39/PHP) 160427/CAP/vccAsia
- CCMarketing Communications Specialist - Global IT CompanyNSW