Google Nexus One smartphone
In addition to its 1GHz processor and OLED display, the Google Nexus One sports a multicolour trackball, light and proximity sensors, and a 5-megapixel camera
- Android 2.1, OLED screen, 1GHz CPU
- Early adopters experiencing some teething issues
Google Android 2.1 represents a step forward for Google's already impressive operating system, and the Google Nexus One seems like the ideal handset to show off the new OS's skills. But early adopters have reported teething troubles, so it may be worth waiting a few months before upgrading to the Nexus One.
The Google Nexus One sports a stunning 480x800 OLED screen that displays Android 2.1's 3D graphics beautifully.
The retooled Apps menu in Android 2.1 lets you scroll through your apps with a fingertip - a flourish that rivals the iPhone's interface for slickness.
The Google Nexus One is the latest in a growing line of Google Android phones, though it is the first to offer Android 2.1. Other phones, including the HTC Droid Eris and the Motorola Droid, will feature Android 2.1 in the near future.
According to Google, the Google Nexus One is as thick as a pencil, and weighs as much as a keychain Swiss Army knife.
In addition to its 1GHz processor and 480x800 OLED display, the Google Nexus One sports a multicolour trackball that serves as a notification device, light and proximity sensors, and a 5-megapixel camera with an LED flash.
Google's new Google Earth app for Android 2.1 includes the ability swipe your way through 3D landscapes. The display updates quickly and the graphics are richly detailed.
The Google Nexus One's 5-megapixel camera is mounted on the back of the device. The phone includes a 3.5mm stereo jack and supports stereo audio via Bluetooth as well. In addition, customers can customize their phone with personalized engraving on the rear bezel.
Voice control is now integrated into all facets of Android 2.1. So you can do a voice search for a destination, and the GPS will automatically guide you to it.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- 7 smartphone trends to watch this year
- LG G5 to debut on February 21, going head-to-head with Galaxy S7
- As 5G approaches, 3G and 4G are still getting faster
- BlackBerry’s PRIV hits Australian shores
- Apple might show off iPhone 5se and iPad Air 3 at March 15 event
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTMobile Designer / Developer - IOSNSW
- FTTechnical Support EngineerNSW
- FTHelpdesk support - Level 1VIC
- FTSenior C# .NET Developer (Focus WCF, MVC)VIC
- CCService Desk ManagerVIC
- FTBusiness Analyst / Scrum MasterNSW
- FTProject Manager | Defence projects | NV1/NV2 cleared | Canberra basedACT
- CCContract System Analyst (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160205/SA/881Asia
- FTTechnical Lead (C#/.Net)NSW
- CCService EngineerVIC
- FTSystems Administrator/Engineer | Projects & BAU | Coastal Newcastle NSWWA
- FTNetwork Systems LeadVIC
- CCEnterprise ArchitectNSW
- CCDesktop Support L1, 2 & 3NSW
- CCSenior Project Manager - ComplianceVIC
- CCSenior Wintel EngineerNSW
- CCEXCEL Guru / Data AdministratorNSW
- CCProject Server Specialist / MS ProjectNSW
- CCBusiness and Financial AnalystACT
- CCWeb Content WriterSA
- CCContracts ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Front End Developer Required Working World Leading Digital TeamVIC
- CCData AnalystNSW
- CCContract System Analyst (Website/PHP development) 160122/SA/vmtAsia