GizmoTots placemat review: How to stop baby throwing food
Genius. Almost. And it makes a great gift for new parents
- Natural suction
- Reduces risk of food displacement malfunctions
- Great gift
- Not infallible
This is the best solution we've seen yet, but don't expect baby not to eventually figure out a way of turning it upside down.
Price$ 30.00 (AUD)
Some presents arrive and take your breath away. As a tech reviewer it’s usually a TV or phone. But none of them can compare to the GizmoTotz place mat. Just one look at it screamed, “Genius!”
It comes in blue, pink or green and the following shapes – a frog face a car and a bowl. It’s simply a place-setting-sized silicon matt with the bowl/plate integrated. Suddenly, picking up a plate and bowl and tipping it onto a table, floor, head, pet and/or sibling is that bit harder. We’ve tried bowls with suction cups before but they’re no match for the strength of a six-month old.
There’s natural suction on a flat surface and so these placemats are generally less likely to be turned over and emptied. However, experience tells us that baby will still find a way. At least it’s usually when when they’ve finished eating and it’s that much harder than overturning a regular receptacle.
So this is the best solution we’ve seen yet but it’s not infallible. Coating the bottom with an adhesive spray might help but that’s likely to cause issues with nice tables. It's also worth noting that they're just too big to suck on to the ubiquitous IKEA high chair tables - but a decent pair of scissors will fix that (and possibly some adhesive spray).
The mats are dishwasher proof and available for $30 from the online store. We reckon they make great gifts for any recently-new parent!
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® Portable SSD
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Google Daydream VR headset
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Surface Pro 4
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- TP-Link's new Wi-Fi light bulbs shun smart bridges for easier, cheaper setup
- Nissan charges after Tesla with home battery system
- iLumi's BR30 Outdoor color-tunable smart bulb will bring programmable lighting to your yard this summer
- Solar on all U.S. roofs would supply 39% of power
- Kuvée Smart Bottle hands-on preview: Go ahead, open all the wine you want
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPTechnical ConsultantNSW
- FTPMO Coordinator-Permanent Opportunity-Education/Government Background EssentialNSW
- FTSenior Learning Specialist - Global OrganisationQLD
- CCSenior Technical SpecialistNSW
- CCSAP ISU Device Management ConsultantNSW
- CCSharepoint Business AnalystACT
- CCInfrastructure Test AnalystACT
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Supply Chain Modules)VIC
- TPSCCM SpecialistVIC
- CCWPF .NET EngineerNSW
- CCSystem EngineerSA
- TPSenior Service Desk AnalystNSW
- TPSenior IT Business AnalystNSW
- TPSenior Business Project ManagerNSW
- CCDevops EngineerNSW
- CCUnix AdministratorNSW
- TPTechnical Business Analyst - DigitalQLD
- FTDatabase Modelling SpecialistACT
- FTDynamics AX Functional ConsultantQLD
- CCBusiness Analyst - Cyber SecurityACT
- FTFront End DeveloperQLD
- CCTest ManagerWA
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)WA
- TPHRIS Business AnalystQLD
- FTSAP BW ConsultantACT