Gizmo Project 22.214.171.124
- Full featured free SIP client with free voicemail
- Voice quality
Excellent interface, but bandwidth from Australia to the Gizmo Project back-end servers seems dubious.
Best Deals (Selling at 2 stores)
Gizmo Project is a peer-to-peer system with support for the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP). SIP is a real time communication protocol for Voice over IP (VoIP). This is a great feature because it means that unlike Skype, Gizmo Project users are also able to call people using SIP softphones or SIP hardware telephones which are fast becoming popular with home users thanks to ISP services such as iinet's iiphone VoIP service.
The Gizmo Project interface owes a lot to both Skype, and the major Instant Messenger clients, but that just makes it easier to use. The opening screen displays an account balance which belies the fact Gizmo Project is intending to make their profit off providing Plain Old Telephone System (POTS) connectivity for VoIP users - both incoming and outgoing - but this integration means Gizmo Project can't be reconfigured to use any other SIP telephony provider.
The free account includes voicemail and conferencing and includes US$0.25 of credit with every account to encourage users to attempt a POTS connection - the current rate is 1c per minute to US land lines. Unfortunately call quality from Australia to the Gizmo Project servers seems pretty low so it may be some time before they get enough bandwidth to compete with Skype on this front.
With Gizmo Project, the emphasis seems to be on cute features - immediately noticeable are the avatars used for contacts. Other clients allow users to add their own photos to their contacts book, but like an IM client Gizmo Project allows users to project their own image out to other users via their peer-to-peer system and to select from a bunch of avatars that come with the software. Unfortunately users cannot import additional images but there is a good selection including some "Far Side" cartoon classics. Like most clients, it supports importing contacts from Outlook and Outlook Express.
When a call is in progress the "call drawer" window appears to the right of the main window and shows the other users avatar and contact profile. It also includes three useful buttons at the top - record, hold and mute. Pressing record results in a WAV file record of the conversation to be dropped to a configurable directory location, while the hold function includes the ability to select custom on hold music simply by choosing a suitable WAV file on the hold music option tab. Another button appears below the call status when a call is in progress - "Map it". This launches a window showing a map of the world with the caller locations superimposed on it. While not a useful feature, it certainly is fun.
The options are all nice and simple. Gizmo Project does most things in the background, like running a bandwidth test to optimize the audio codecs in use - it shows status at the bottom left of screen. Everything about Gizmo Project seems to say, "Go on, VoIP isn't scary - give it a try!".
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- PowerDVD 16 gains 360-degree video playback: Here's how it works
- Microsoft will miss its one billion Windows 10 device target
- Google is working to make every website viewable in VR
- Twitter's new stickers are more useful than Snapchat
- YouTube is bringing live broadcasting for all to its mobile apps
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTAgile Coach / Training & Support ManagerNSW
- CCTest Manager - Baseline SecurityVIC
- CCPerformance Test Lead- Load runner, SAP , Citrix ,HPQC ,QTPNSW
- CCSenior SAP BW & HANA Developer/Technical ArchitectVIC
- CCSenior Back-end .Net DeveloperNSW
- CCAgile Delivery ManagerACT
- CCBusiness Analyst - End-User ComputingNSW
- CCIT Security ArchitectVIC
- CCData Analyst / Data ModelerNSW
- FTIT Helpdesk (Microsoft)NSW
- FTSolution Architect - Digital (Work From Home 2-3 Days)NSW
- CCMessaging EngineerNSW
- FTSystems EngineerNSW
- CCCrystal reports expertACT
- CCBusiness Analyst - CloudVIC
- CCApplication Tester - Windows 10 ProjectWA
- CCInfrastructure Project ManagerACT
- FTDesktop EngineerNSW
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperNSW
- FTSystems Applications ManagerACT
- CCPMO ManagerVIC
- CCLead Solutions ArchitectQLD
- CCReport Business Analyst- BI, Oracle, SAP, TableauNSW