- Aesthetic, great DVD writing
- Slow, uses a lot of system resources
Even though we did experience some problems with the data transfer mode of the drive, it still produced solid test results that make it worth considering.
Price$ 99.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 6 stores)
If you're fussy about your drive's appearance, then you will appreciate the extra bezel that Gigabyte supplies with this drive, which allows you to dress it up in either black or white. For extra funkiness, you could mix and match the tray plate with the main bezel and become the only kid on the block with a black and white burner!
Aesthetics aside, during our tests this inexpensive unit provided excellent DVD write performance using the CAV method, but slightly sluggish read performance.
During our testing, it mysteriously changed from using Ultra DMA mode to PIO mode. This was perhaps due to the drive having a problem reading one of our pressed discs, and it took us a few system restarts to get the drive working in DMA mode again. For the record, using PIO mode with this drive, even on a powerful system, really made for snail-paced burning and used up to 100 per cent of our system CPU.
The drive comes with Nero Express 6 and PowerDVD. That's fantastic value considering this drive can be found for less than $100.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 2 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 3 Parrot Mambo Drone review
- 4 Evapolar USB air conditioner review
- 5 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Google, IBM, and others team up to hasten data transfers in computers
- Seagate drops the world's largest tiny hard drive
- Review: ADATA’s waterproof SSD is small, rugged -- and pricey
- Samsung releases the world’s fastest gumstick SSD
- Samsung's 960 Pro and 960 Evo SSDs marry crazy-fast speeds with roomy capacity
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- TV buying guide: What to look for when buying a TV in 2016
- Best iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus plans: Optus vs Telstra vs Vodafone vs Virgin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (CISCO/IT Security) 161028/AP/142Asia
- CCResident Engineer - Nexus 2K, 5K, 7K & 9KNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Web Programming) 161013/AP/185Asia
- FTKronos AdministratorNSW
- CCProject AnalystVIC
- FTLevel 2 Service Desk AnalystVIC
- CCOracle Functional Consultant | 6mth ContractVIC
- CCSenior Siebel DeveloperACT
- CCField EngineerVIC
- CCFunctional Consultant - MS Dynamics AXQLD
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web DeveloperNSW
- CCStrategy AnalystVIC
- FTSolutions ArchitectNSW
- FTProject Manager - FinanceNSW
- CCSenior Java Analyst Programmer - Front Office TradingNSW
- CCSitecore DeveloperNSW
- CCHead of Digital (Technology Manager - Digital Transformations)NSW
- CCCommunications ManagerVIC
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Oracle/Unix/WebLogic) 161020/SA/693Asia
- CCInfrastructure & Security Solution ArchitectVIC
- CCProject ManagerACT
- CCContract Systems Analyst (JAVA/J2EE/Web) 161014/SA/922Asia
- CCManager of Pricing and AnalyticsVIC
- FTSenior Analyst ProgrammerNSW
- CCCloud Security Services SpecialistVIC