Gigabyte GeForce 6800 GT VPU (GV-N68T256DH)
- Great cooling system, good value for money
- Poor software bundle
A powerful AGP card to tide people over till the move to PCI Express becomes compulsory.
Price$ 595.00 (AUD)
This card impressed us on two fronts. Its cooling system is among the first we have seen to have its fan located on the top side of the card instead of directly on the GPU itself. It sits on a huge heat sink, which means there are two large heat sinks on this card, and the top-side heat sink is connected to the main GPU heat sink via heat pipes. These heat sinks also cool the memory at the same time. This arrangement does mean that the cooling fan is prone to hot air from CPU and chipset fans blowing in its direction, so a proper exhaust at the rear of your system should be in place.
The second impressive feature of this card is its price tag. This card should be snapped up by anyone looking for a high-end card to fit into an AGP 8X system. It means you will not have to upgrade to PCIe for at least a few years.
Its GeForce 6800GT chip propelled it to very good frame rates, with Doom 3's most taxing settings switched on.
Don't expect too much bundled software. Apart from the V-tuner2 fan and clock management utility, you only get a software DVD player and no games.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- EVGA's GTX 1080 FTW2 and SC2 graphics cards get updated with faster memory
- Qualcomm: First Windows 10 ARM PC coming in the fourth quarter
- User-created patch lets Kaby Lake and Ryzen PCs receive Windows 7 updates
- Samsung ready to make chips faster than the ones in Galaxy S8
- Prices of SSDs and DRAM will crash in 2019, Gartner predicts
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCSystems AdminNSW
- CCSolution Architect - Network Operations/Design - TelcoVIC
- FTRecruitment ConsultantSA
- CCIT End to End UX Designer.VIC
- FTSecurity Solutions Manager - Perth BasedNSW
- FTTest AnalystNSW
- TPSenior Business AnalystVIC
- FTPMO CoordinatorVIC
- TPBusiness Project Manager - DigitalNSW
- TPEnterprise ArchitectQLD
- FTICT Relationship Manager - Service Delivery EnvironmentNSW
- CCService Delivery Analyst -Port MacquarieNSW
- FTDrupal Developer - Senior or Mid levelQLD
- CCSenior Domain ArchitectVIC
- CCService Desk SupportNSW
- CCSystems Administrator - Cloud, Azure and LinuxQLD
- CCTechnical Consutlant - Entry Level - HPSMACT
- CCProgram CoordinatorVIC
- CCSenior Project CoordinatorNSW
- CCBusiness Project Manager - ApplicationsNSW
- CCDevops Consultant - 12 month contractVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCTechnical Consutlant - Entry Level - HPSMQLD
- FTSolution Architect x 2 (ETL/SSIS)NSW
- FTChief Security OfficerNSW