Geneva Model S mini hi-fi system
Geneva Model S review: A mini hi-fi with plenty of power and a fashionable design
- Modern and minimalist styling, good sound quality
- The touch-sensitive buttons are tricky to operate
The Geneva Model S is an expensive, high quality mini hi-fi system that incorporates an iPod dock, FM and DAB+ digital radio. It's very stylish and its sound quality is excellent.
Price$ 599.00 (AUD)
The Geneva Model S is a DAB+ digital radio, iPod dock and FM radio all rolled into a single speaker cabinet. It's a pretty simple mini hi-fi system, and it includes an easy-to-use remote control. Sound quality remains good at low, moderate and high volume levels.
Geneva Model S: Design and features
The Geneva Model S a very stylish piece of home entertainment technology — like the Geneva Model M, it's a single enclosure with all the components inside. Our test unit was finished in a rich tomato red that looked excellent, but piano black and candy white models are also available. The speaker box comes with an optional stand that raises it three inches, but this is largely an aesthetic choice rather than a functional one.
A motorised dock in the middle of the Geneva Model S buzzes into action and rotates out when the iPod mode is activated. This is a cool novelty, but we're a bit wary of what will happen if the motor breaks after a few years of use.
The touch-sensitive buttons on the top of the Geneva Model S mimic the style of Apple's classic iPod MP3 player, with a clicking scroll wheel and a small range of buttons for playing, pausing, skipping tracks and changing modes. The buttons are nice enough to use, but their positioning on the top of the player at the rear means you have to stand over the Geneva Model S to operate it.
The bundled remote control is far easier to use. It takes a bit of getting used to — the power button is labelled with a plus sign, and all the buttons are the same sized — but the tactile buttons are excellent. It also allows users to quickly tweak treble and bass audio, making sound warmer and sharper if wanted.
Geneva Model S: Sound quality
We largely used the FM radio in the Geneva Model S as a fall-back — when listening to an iPod or the DAB+ digital radio, we were consistently impressed. The Geneva Model S goes some way to justifying its high price tag with undeniably excellent sound quality for its size.
It's only a small cabinet but it has excellent clarity and dynamic range at moderate volume levels. The full-range speaker inside the Geneva Model S is able to hit high treble notes with ease, producing crisp and slightly bright audio, but can simultaneously extend quite low in the frequency range to produce reverberating bass. It doesn't quite have the power of a dedicated subwoofer or larger speaker system, but it's on par with other high-end pint-sized speaker systems we've heard like the Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin.
What's most impressive is the way it sounds balanced and doesn’t lose composure even when operating at high volume levels. It reaches its maximum volume before introducing any distortion, and it is more than loud enough to fill a medium-sized living room or bedroom.
Geneva Model S: Conclusion
It's an expensive piece of equipment, but the Geneva Model S is a well-designed mini hi-fi system. Anyone happy to spend $600 on an iPod dock or digital radio should (hopefully) be used to the finer things, and the Model S doesn't disappoint.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® Portable SSD
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Huawei Mate 9
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Acer Swift 7
Google Daydream VR headset
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Surface Pro 4
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
- AirTV's slick marriage of Sling TV and OTA channels isn't in the product yet
- Here's what's coming next from Sling TV
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPAgile CoachNSW
- FTData AnalystQLD
- FTBusiness Development Executive - Queensland Public SectorQLD
- TPNodeJS DeveloperNSW
- FTPerformance TesterACT
- TPAnalyst Programmer (Adabas)SA
- TPJava DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior Networks Specialist - DNS PlatformVIC
- FTData Conversion LeadNSW
- TPSenior Project Manager - ReinsuranceNSW
- FTDatabase Modelling SpecialistACT
- FTDigital Sales Account Manager - Global BrandNSW
- CCService Designer (CX)NSW
- CCData Migration Consultant - LeadNSW
- CCDevOps/Senior Sys Admin - eCommerce - Contract - Sydney Northern BeachesNSW
- CCSystem EngineerSA
- CCDevops Consultant - 12 month contractVIC
- TPProject Coordinator/Junior Project ManagerVIC
- FT.net Developer (Front and Back end)QLD
- CCSenior Storage System Engineer - Tivoli Storage SpecialistNSW
- CCUser Experience Designer - Part time - Short contractACT
- FTSystem EngineerVIC
- TPDigital Project ManagerVIC
- CCIT Procurement OfficerNSW
- CCSenior Project Coordinator - Banking/Financial ServicesNSW