First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
FujiFilm FinePix Z2
- Stylish and Slim, Good for Macro shots, Intuitive Menu
- Low on features, No image stabilization, Noisy, Pictures lacked detail
If you're after a simple and easy to use compact camera that looks great, then the Z2 may be for you. However, don't expect a long list of features.
Price$ 499.00 (AUD)
Buy now (Selling at 17 stores)
Getting natural-looking shots in low light without a flash is tricky - especially for ultracompact cameras, which don't tend to have high-sensitivity ISO settings. Surprisingly, though, their ability to shoot with ease on the move means ultracompacts are often used in such situations.
Fuji has attempted to solve this dilemma with its Z2, a stylish and slim 5.1 megapixel camera that's low on features but offers ISO 1,600 sensitivity. Problem is, there's no image stabilisation to reduce blur and we found that shooting in gloomy conditions produced too many noisy digital artifacts. That said, in other conditions it produced acceptable images with vibrant colours - although we felt the pictures lacked a lot of detail. Macro shots were much better.
The Z2 is the perfect-looking handbag ultracompact camera. Our all-black review model has a slide front cover that reveals the 3x optical zoom lens, and the array of controls round the back is distinctly minimal. Fuji's F button gives direct access to resolutions, ISO and colour, while the four-way navipad has a menu button in the middle that's a joy to use. There's no optical viewfinder, but credit to Fuji for the big, scratch-resistant LCD which gains up nicely in low light so it's easy to compose shots.
There's an excellent continuous shooting mode and presets for scene and white balance and exposure - but not much else. In other words, the Z2 is ideal for point-and-shooters.
We didn't find the Fuji very responsive, but we've also been treated to Canon's i zoom, so maybe this is unfair. The Z2 will please most buyers, and the lithium battery is a good addition. As, for that matter, is the movie mode - although the xD card holds only 13 seconds of footage, so you'll need some better storage. On the down side it's a shame you can't directly connect the power adapter - all connections are via the bundled docking station. All in all a bit of a mixed bag. There are better ultracompacts around, but the FinePix Z2 is still worth considering if you want a simple operator that's serviceable and looks great.
Latest News Articles
- Majority of large ISPs now using monthly data caps, GAO says
- Android vulnerability allows malware to compromise most devices and apps
- Oracle slashes Larry Ellison's stock options following shareholder discontent
- Microsoft faces anti-monopoly probe in China over Windows, Office
- Privacy groups call for action to stop Facebook's off site user tracking plans
Most Popular Articles
- 1 Buying guide: Ovens, cooktops and freestanding cookers (upright ranges)
- 2 Tethering tutorial: How to use your iPhone as a modem
- 3 How to connect your iPhone to your TV
- 4 The most disturbing YouTube videos of all time
- 5 How to pick the right size TV for your living room
GGG Evaluation Team
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
- Digital Cameras View all »
- $2889.96 free shipping
- 23% off $21.58 free shipping
- $59.79 free shipping
- 8% off $865 free shipping
- 39% off $184
- Digital Video View all »
- Notebooks View all »
- Desktop PCs View all »
- Tablets View all »