Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro
- '12.3 megapixel' sensor, superior image quality
- An already expensive camera, the S3 Pro requires equally expensive accessories to reach its full potential.
Produces top-notch photos and will appeal to photographers with a stash of Nikon lenses.
Price$ 3,895.00 (AUD)
Only the most serious photographers would consider spending such a large chunk of cash for just the body of the FinePix S3 Pro, but if you already had an existing stash of Nikon-compatible accessories, it could make a good addition to the collection.
At the heart of the S3 Pro is Fujifilm's new 12.3-megapixel Super CCD SR II sensor. It has equal numbers of small and large pixels, which the company says allows it to capture a wider dynamic range for better detail in shadows and highlights. Though our formal tests showed no dramatic improvements from the extended dynamic range, the S3 Pro proved a very solid performer.
It also performed quite well in our informal outdoor tests. In bright sunlight, with the camera cranked up to its widest dynamic settings, we saw consistently great results.
The settings on the S3--including white balance, quality and autofocus mode--are changeable using four function buttons on the back of the camera. This approach reduces the number of dedicated buttons and simplifies the setup menus viewable on the bright 2" colour display.
The S3 Pro has an F-mount lens fitting for compatibility with Nikon lenses (our test unit came with a 24mm to 135mm Tamron lens).
The unit outlasted our 500-shot battery test on a single charge of its four AA-size nickel metal hydride cells.
For users who shoot with their digital SLRs heavily customised, the Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro will not disappoint. However, it requires a professional photographer's budget.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Google Camera 3.2 lets you snap pictures while recording video
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Sony α7S II aimed film-makers and low light photographers
- Canon goes big on resolution with 250-megapixel sensor
- Hey, Saturn, take a selfie! World's biggest digital camera will photograph the universe
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- FTMobility Test AnalystNSW
- CCGuidewire Developer - Policy Center 8NSW
- CCApplication Service TechnicianVIC
- FTSystems Administrator | Defence | NV1 / NV2 clearedACT
- FTBusiness Development ManagerVIC
- CCIP & Fixed Enablement SpecialistVIC
- CCUI/UX DesignerNSW
- FTMidrange Server Provision SMENSW
- CCFrontend DevelopersQLD
- CCSenior Contracts Officer/Procurement -Governmen BckgrndNSW
- CCInformatica DeveloperNSW
- CCContract IT Assistant (Lotus Notes/PC LAN) 160722/ITA/474Asia
- FTSenior Architect, Marketing and Campaign ManagementNSW
- CCSenior Process Analyst - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTDesktop Specialist - Application PackagingACT
- FTProject ManagerVIC
- CCInformation Management Project Manager (SAP BI)NSW
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Business Process Analyst, FinanceNSW
- FTAndroid Technical Lead (Work From Home 2-3 Days)NSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst with Product Management experienceVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst - End-User ComputingNSW
- FTSAS Support SpecialistNSW
- CCSenior Business Systems AnalystVIC