Freedom Input mini GPS
- Compact and lightweight, reasonable performance, SiRF Star III chip
- Slightly sluggish to lock onto satellites, no included AC charger or suction cap, no auto power off feature
Freedom's mini GPS is a solid GPS receiver in a compact package that works with most hardware and software combinations.
Price$ 189.99 (AUD)
Small and light enough to use as a key ring, but powerful enough to track up to 20 GPS satellites, Freedom's mini GPS is a compact, convenient and simple GPS receiver that is compatible with most Bluetooth devices and navigation software packages.
The mini GPS has a fairly straightforward design. Its dark grey colour scheme is hardly awe inspiring, but the key feature here is size. Weighing just 30g and small enough to use as a key ring, the mini GPS appeals because of its portability — despite the small size, the unit is good enough to use as your primary means of navigation.
The mini GPS has just a single switch to power on as well as a standard mini-USB port for charging, the latter concealed by a rubber flap. An indicator status light displays Bluetooth status, GPS reception and a battery level warning when needed. Perhaps the only thing missing in the package is a suction cap to stick to a window when using the unit in a car, as all GPS receivers require a clear view of the sky when in operation.
The mini GPS uses the popular SiRF Star III GPS receiver found in most portable GPS units and receivers. Pairing is as simple as turning the unit on, whereby it automatically enters pairing mode. Once paired, it managed to lock onto a GPS signal in about two minutes. It's not a fantastic result, but keeping in mind the size of the unit we can't complain too much. We tested the mini GPS with HP's iPAQ 212 with CoPilot Live 7 software installed and we didn't experience any issues.
An important point is that although the mini GPS only has 20 channels compared to many other receivers boasting 32 channels, this isn't really an issue. There are only 24 GPS satellites in total and a unit can only connect up to 12 at one time.
Freedom claims the mini GPS provides up to nine hours of operating time from a full charge, but the battery isn't removable and it doesn't automatically power off if left idle for a period of time. Included in the sales package is both a car charger and a USB cable, but there is no AC adapter.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Goodbye GPS? DARPA preparing alternative position-tracking technology
- Elon Musk: Teslas could drive themselves, today
- Nvidia unveils $10,000 autonomous driving computer
- Driverless cars in the UK gets the OK from government
- Spotify hijacks Uber speakers
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- CCSAP CRM Specialist- ABAPACT
- FTApplication Support AnalystVIC
- CCIBM ESB Developer (Junior to mid level role)NSW
- CCService ModellerNSW
- FTOracle System Integration Engineer - CANBERRASA
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (MS.Net/Visual Basic) 160129/AP/vtdAsia
- CCContract System Analyst (Network & System Mgt.) 160205/SA/561Asia
- CCMaster SchedulerVIC
- FTSecurity ArchitectWA
- CCSenior Information Security SpecialistNSW
- FTProject Manager | Permanent position | NV1 NV2 cleared | Defence | Great cultureACT
- CCCisco Network EngineerNSW
- CCFront End Developer - MelbourneVIC
- CCMultiple Senior Business Analyst opportunitiesSA
- CCSenior Business Analyst, Online Gaming SystemsNSW
- CCSolution Architect - Biomedical - South Australia locationSA
- CCInformatica ExpertNSW
- CCDBA (Oracle/SQL)NSW
- CCHelpdesk SupportNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst, Enterprise Software SolutionNSW
- CCIT Service Improvement SpecialistNSW
- CCUser Experience Designer - BaselineACT
- CCBusiness Project Manager - Transformation ProgramNSW