Freecom Hard Drive Pro 500GB
- Thermostatically controlled fan keeps it quiet, a portion of the drive is encrypted
- No software pre-installed, ease of use
A feature-rich product with a good selection of software and excellent build quality, the Freecom Hard Drive Pro 500GB lacks the designer style or extreme ease of use of some competing products.
Price$ 229.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
A conventional-looking USB drive, Freecom's Hard Drive Pro eschews quirky angular shapes and calming mood lighting in favour of a functional yet smart design in a reassuringly rugged case.
Unlike some other USB hard drives, the Freecom Hard Drive Pro 500GB has no software pre-installed. Instead you must install the applications from the supplied CD.
This means you don't have to burn your own setup CD if you want to format the Freecom Hard Drive Pro 500GB, but it also makes initial installation rather less friendly – it's certainly not automatic.
The Freecom Hard Drive Pro 500GB's case is fitted with a fan, but it's thermostatically controlled, so most of the time the device is very quiet.
This Freecom Hard Drive Pro 500GB is available in either USB with eSATA or USB with Firewire800 versions. Unlike Seagate's FreeAgent Pro you can't get all three interfaces in one device.
Furthermore, the version of the Freecom Hard Drive Pro 500GB with Firewire has an additional button which allows access to a protected, encrypted portion of the drive. This helps protect your sensitive data in the event that the drive is lost or stolen.
Freecom's own software suite includes encryption and password protection applications and auto-run setup application and backup software that includes support for the Freecom Hard Drive Pro 500GB's one-touch auto synch button.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Toshiba to cut 6800 jobs, focus on storage and energy
- Consumer SSDs and hard drive prices are nearing parity
- Lexar launches new USB JumpDrives
- Seagate breaks through the 1TB-per-platter barrier for laptop drives
- U2 tours with all-flash array to rock latest video effects
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCiOS DeveloperNSW
- CCDesktop Support Engineer/Service Desk AnalystNSW
- CCData Stage DeveloperNSW
- FTInsight / Customer - Data ScientistNSW
- CCLync/Skype EngineerNSW
- CCContract System Analyst (Network & System Mgt.) 160205/SA/561Asia
- CCSharepoint AdministratorVIC
- FTProject Manager | Defence projects | NV1/NV2 cleared | Canberra basedACT
- CCSenior Visual DesignerNSW
- FTVB6 DeveloperNSW
- CCProject ManagerSA
- CCSenior Product Specialist - Cisco CPENSW
- FTProgram Test DirectorNSW
- CCMid-level DevOps EngineerNSW
- CCTechnical Tester - AutomationVIC
- CCInformation Security ManagerNSW
- CCWeb DeveloperNSW
- CCContract System Analyst (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160205/SA/881Asia
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- CCWindows System Admin, Administrator, Technical SupportNSW
- CCTechnical Lead - .NET TechnologiesNSW
- FTApplication Packaging & Deployments Team LeaderNSW
- CCImplementation ManagerVIC
- CCIT Solution DesignerNSW
- CCRisk AnalystVIC