Freecom Hard Drive Pro 500GB
- Thermostatically controlled fan keeps it quiet, a portion of the drive is encrypted
- No software pre-installed, ease of use
A feature-rich product with a good selection of software and excellent build quality, the Freecom Hard Drive Pro 500GB lacks the designer style or extreme ease of use of some competing products.
Price$ 229.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 4 stores)
A conventional-looking USB drive, Freecom's Hard Drive Pro eschews quirky angular shapes and calming mood lighting in favour of a functional yet smart design in a reassuringly rugged case.
Unlike some other USB hard drives, the Freecom Hard Drive Pro 500GB has no software pre-installed. Instead you must install the applications from the supplied CD.
This means you don't have to burn your own setup CD if you want to format the Freecom Hard Drive Pro 500GB, but it also makes initial installation rather less friendly – it's certainly not automatic.
The Freecom Hard Drive Pro 500GB's case is fitted with a fan, but it's thermostatically controlled, so most of the time the device is very quiet.
This Freecom Hard Drive Pro 500GB is available in either USB with eSATA or USB with Firewire800 versions. Unlike Seagate's FreeAgent Pro you can't get all three interfaces in one device.
Furthermore, the version of the Freecom Hard Drive Pro 500GB with Firewire has an additional button which allows access to a protected, encrypted portion of the drive. This helps protect your sensitive data in the event that the drive is lost or stolen.
Freecom's own software suite includes encryption and password protection applications and auto-run setup application and backup software that includes support for the Freecom Hard Drive Pro 500GB's one-touch auto synch button.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Evapolar USB air conditioner review
- 2 LED Lenser P7R Professional Torch review
- 3 Aftershokz Wireless Trekz Titanium Bone Conduction Bluetooth Headphones review
- 4 Review: Periscope users rejoice with Feiyu’s G4 Plus 3-Axis Gimbal for Smartphone video
- 5 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung releases the world’s fastest gumstick SSD
- Samsung's 960 Pro and 960 Evo SSDs marry crazy-fast speeds with roomy capacity
- Boom: SanDisk just dropped the world's largest SD card
- IBM targets x86 server territory with new Power servers
- Toshiba's new SSD line features rock-bottom pricing
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCFull Stack Application Developer - IoT projectsVIC
- FTTechnical Business Analyst | Marketing ServicesNSW
- CCData Analyst | Data Feeds | Catalogue and MapNSW
- FTCertification and Accreditation Security ConsultantACT
- CCTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / Kronos)NSW
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- CCDesktop Infrastructure SpecialistACT
- FTJava DeveloperNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager | ICT intelligent systems integrationVIC
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- FTBackup ConsultantWA
- CCBusiness ArchitectNSW
- CCSenior .NET DeveloperVIC
- FTEMC Storage ConsultantWA
- CCSenior Infrastrcture Project ManagerACT
- CCContract Junior Programmer (J2EE/SQL) 160927/JP/551Asia
- FTCarrier/ Industrial Network ConsultantsWA
- CCNetwork and Security EngineerNSW
- CCLAN ConsultantWA
- FTIT Pre-Sales EngineerSA
- CCService Desk analystSA
- CCICT Security AuditorACT
- FTTechnical Support Engineer | Cloud | Automation techsNSW
- FTNetApp Storage ConsultantWA
- FTTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / ARIBA)NSW