FL Studio 8
You've got to love a software company that would actually name a program Fruity Loops.
- Can't be beaten if what you're looking for is great looping and step editing for dance music
- It may take some getting used to
The thing we love about FL Studio is that you only buy once and every new version has addressed user wishes and added significant functionality. Not only does the company have a sense of humour, they have a sense of honour. Well worth the download (and it'll always be Fruity Loops to us).
Price$ 349.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
You've got to love a software company that would actually name a program Fruity Loops. It's now been renamed called FL Studio to rein in the more staid customers, as well as reflect the program's move from a strictly loop-based (arranging looped samples into songs) into a far more versatile sequencing and editing package.
But still - you've just got to admire them.
The first thing you'll notice about FL Studio is that it's one nice-looking program with an interface treatment makes you want to dive right in and explore. The interface mimics to a great extent an old beat box or step sequencer.
Depending on your background, it may take some getting used to. If what you're looking for is a great looping and step editing for dance music, you can't beat this program (except possibly with Ableton Live). You can force track-based arrangements, but that's not its forte. Those statements are a synopsis by the way - there's no possibility of covering the myriad of features in a short review.
Feature-wise, the US$49 Express version of FL Studio lacks the Edison wave editor and Slicex beat editor, some of the more useful advanced arrangement features and the ability to act as a DXi/ReWire/VSTi client within other sequencers or DAWS (Digital Audio Workstation software).
If you don't know what that last means, you won't miss the feature. The Express version still has plenty of step-sequencing features, a number of software synths, and the DirectWave sample player though output is limited to 16-bit/44.1kHz which is only a hindrance to pros.
The demo is a fully functional copy of the program; however, although you can output a final mix to audio, you can't actually save the project.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Evapolar USB air conditioner review
- 2 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 3 LED Lenser P7R Professional Torch review
- 4 Aftershokz Wireless Trekz Titanium Bone Conduction Bluetooth Headphones review
- 5 Review: Periscope users rejoice with Feiyu’s G4 Plus 3-Axis Gimbal for Smartphone video
Latest News Articles
- PSA: Windows 10's Anniversary Update reactivates ads you've already disabled
- Analysts laud and lance new Microsoft browser armor
- Andromeda inbound? Google's long-rumored Android/Chrome OS merger may debut Oct 4
- Apple's Siri-powered Amazon Echo rival reportedly hits the prototype phase
- Hands-on: Opera's free, unlimited browser VPN is ready for secure surfing
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCBusiness Analyst - Telecom ProjectNSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Project ManagerACT
- CCTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / Kronos)NSW
- FTSenior PHP DeveloperNSW
- FTNetwork and Security Design EngineerNSW
- CCTechnical Architect/DesignerACT
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- CCVideo Conference Support Officer- VoIP, LAN, WAN, RemedyNSW
- CCSenior Change ManagerVIC
- FTJava DeveloperNSW
- CCIT Security ArchitectACT
- CCContract Systems Analyst (IT Security) 160928/JP/653Asia
- CCNetwork and Security EngineerNSW
- FTTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / ARIBA)NSW
- FTScrum Master | High Profile FintechNSW
- FTTeam Leader Full Stack, Python, FinanceNSW
- CCContract Web Developer (160915/WD/vmp)Asia
- CCContract Junior Programmer (J2EE/SQL) 160927/JP/551Asia
- CCSenior Business Analyst -Change and SAP ProcurementNSW
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- FTMDM EngineerNSW
- FTTechnical Business Analyst | Marketing ServicesNSW
- FTTechnical Support Engineer | Cloud | Automation techsNSW
- CCSecurity Cleared IT Professionals - Expression of InterestSA