FL Studio 8
You've got to love a software company that would actually name a program Fruity Loops.
- Can't be beaten if what you're looking for is great looping and step editing for dance music
- It may take some getting used to
The thing we love about FL Studio is that you only buy once and every new version has addressed user wishes and added significant functionality. Not only does the company have a sense of humour, they have a sense of honour. Well worth the download (and it'll always be Fruity Loops to us).
Price$ 349.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 2 stores)
You've got to love a software company that would actually name a program Fruity Loops. It's now been renamed called FL Studio to rein in the more staid customers, as well as reflect the program's move from a strictly loop-based (arranging looped samples into songs) into a far more versatile sequencing and editing package.
But still - you've just got to admire them.
The first thing you'll notice about FL Studio is that it's one nice-looking program with an interface treatment makes you want to dive right in and explore. The interface mimics to a great extent an old beat box or step sequencer.
Depending on your background, it may take some getting used to. If what you're looking for is a great looping and step editing for dance music, you can't beat this program (except possibly with Ableton Live). You can force track-based arrangements, but that's not its forte. Those statements are a synopsis by the way - there's no possibility of covering the myriad of features in a short review.
Feature-wise, the US$49 Express version of FL Studio lacks the Edison wave editor and Slicex beat editor, some of the more useful advanced arrangement features and the ability to act as a DXi/ReWire/VSTi client within other sequencers or DAWS (Digital Audio Workstation software).
If you don't know what that last means, you won't miss the feature. The Express version still has plenty of step-sequencing features, a number of software synths, and the DirectWave sample player though output is limited to 16-bit/44.1kHz which is only a hindrance to pros.
The demo is a fully functional copy of the program; however, although you can output a final mix to audio, you can't actually save the project.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft dials back Windows 10 upgrades to 2X a year
- First look: Nuheara IQbuds smart Bluetooth ear buds do more than just music
- Use Feedback Hub to complain to Microsoft about Windows 10
- Netflix's Fast.com download tester takes its war against slow ISPs directly to the user
- New Windows 10 Mobile preview adds handy web features, but kills Wi-Fi Sense
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCContract Systems Analyst (JAVA/Oracle/Web) 160603/SA/871Asia
- FTTester/Business AnalystWA
- CCHR Systems Support OfficerACT
- CCTechnical WriterNSW
- FTAgile CoachNSW
- CCProject Manager/Iteration ManagerVIC
- CCDelivery Manager - Integration SpaceVIC
- CCApplication System EngineerACT
- CCSystem Engineer - Server Migration experienceNSW
- FTWeb & Mobile Solutions DeveloperNSW
- CCICT Fleet and Equipment Audit ResourcesSA
- CCData and Business AnalystACT
- CCMultiple .Net DevelopersNSW
- FTOPEN_ASAP_Network Security AdministratorACT
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Linux/Orcale/MySQL) 160531/SA/253Asia
- CCData Engineer (Java, Scala, Scripting, Hadoop, Spark)NSW
- CCSoftware Engineer (Client facing) - Publisher SolutionsNSW
- CCSenior Process AnalystVIC
- CCSecurity Clearances Vetting Services OfficerACT
- CCDigital Business Analyst (iOS & Android / Web Projects)NSW
- CCInteractional Designer-Adobe Creative Cloud, SketchNSW
- CCOracle Siebel Administrator - JULY STARTACT
- FTDelivery Lead- AWSNSW
- FTMid-Level Full-Stack Java DeveloperVIC
- CCTechnology Lead / Senior Developer - Java (Urgent)NSW