Facebook for iPhone 3.0
Apple has approved version 3.0 of the Facebook app for iPhone, and it is now available for download from the Apple iTunes App Store
- Support for events, news feed improved
- No push notifications
Overall, the Facebook for iPhone 3.0 app is a great update and brings the desktop version of the social-networking site closer to mobile users. In case you haven't done it already, we recommend you try the new app.
Facebook updated its popular iPhone app, delivering lots of improved features for the official iPhone Facebook 3.0 revision. But sadly, Facebook fails to deliver everything a mobile Facebook warrior could want.
The first thing you will notice in the Facebook 3.0 app is the redesigned home screen, which displays the main Facebook functions on a 3-by-3 grid. Unlike in the screenshots in the App store, the grid lines on the home screen are not present in the final version.
The app's main screen actually behaves like the iPhone's home screen. You can swipe left/right for another page where you can add news feeds of your friends and Facebook pages you administer. The icons in the grid can also be arranged, in the same way as with the iPhone home screen, by holding your finger on an icon until it starts shaking.
Facebook for iPhone 3.0 also adds support for events, and you can now see your upcoming events and RSVP. You can write and read notes from your friends and change your profile picture. The app also gives you complete control over your Facebook photos, so you can create/delete albums, delete photos and photo tags.
The news feed section sees many improvements in Facebook for iPhone 3.0 as well. You can now view the Facebook news feed on your iPhone just as you would on a desktop browser and "Like" statues, posts or photos.
Notifications will be displayed at the bottom of the home screen. A great feature is the addition of landscape viewing of the news feed and you can also visit links without leaving the app, via a built-in browser.
There are some needed features missing in Facebook for iPhone 3.0. Although you can upload videos from an iPhone 3GS, you can't view videos your friends have uploaded to Facebook. However, if someone posts a video from YouTube, you can watch in the built-in browser.
But one of the biggest shortcomings of the new Facebook 3.0 app for iPhone is the lack of push notifications. The only way to get notifications from your news feed when the Facebook app is closed is either to set up email alerts from within Facebook or the use SMS alerts.
The iPhone's e-mail client can fetch new messages only every 15 minutes and SMS alerts are not as widely available, so these two options can't really replace push notifications. However, we might see this feature arriving in a 3.1 update of the Facebook for iPhone app.
And lastly, it would be great if the next update of the Facebook for iPhone app could give the option to turn off the landscape viewing feature, as it can be quite annoying when using the app while lying down.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® Portable SSD
Huawei Mate 9
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Surface Pro 4
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Village Roadshow aims to block 40 pirate sites
- Analysts peer into Microsoft's rumored Windows 10 Cloud
- Google lets users get social with Maps
- Microsoft unveils a bonanza of security capabilities
- Here's how Evernote moved 3 petabytes of data to Google's cloud
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPSenior Business AnalystVIC
- FTLevel 3 Support AnalystVIC
- FTBranch Practice Manager - SecurityQLD
- FTFront End DeveloperQLD
- TPSystem AdministratorVIC
- FTApplication Support Analyst/DeveloperNSW
- FTClient Delivery ManagerSA
- TPSCCM SpecialistVIC
- CCSystems Engineer (Systems Architect/Designer)VIC
- CCTest Capability LeadNSW
- TPTechnical ConsultantNSW
- CCSAP Consultant - SAP Native HANA to DesignWA
- FTCitrix EngineerNSW
- TPNodeJS DeveloperNSW
- CCDeployment EngineerSA
- TPSenior Test AnalystQLD
- TPScrum MasterVIC
- CCSenior Technical SpecialistNSW
- FTSenior Functional Consultant - Data Analytics - TelcoVIC
- CCProject Manager - Security/Cyber SecurityVIC
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Supply Chain Modules)QLD
- CCInfrastructure Solution Designer - Azure/AWSVIC
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net Developer - Internet of ThingsNSW
- TPOrganisational Change ManagerQLD
- TPDigital Strategist - Newcastle BasedNSW