F-Secure Internet Security 2009
- Spam filter worked well, scores highly in antivirus tests
- No automatic whitelisting for spam filter, needs a lot of user intervention, can be slow dealing with infected files it detects
F-Secure Internet Security 2009 is accurate but suffers from usability drawbacks such as a requirement for a relatively high degree of user intervention. This makes it more awkward to use than some smarter rivals. F-Secure Internet Security 2009 delivers the goods to those prepared to wait.
Price$ 135.00 (AUD)
F-Secure Internet Security 2009 adds 64-bit Windows Vista support to its impressive reputation for finding and evicting malware
F-Secure Internet Security 2009 is a security suite comprising antivirus, antispyware, antispam, antiphishing and personal firewall tools for Windows PCs. Comparing to last year's model, improvements are modest. These include faster installation, a tweaked interface, improved anti-malware accuracy and support for 64-bit Vista.
F-Secure gave a trouble-free install on a clean PC and can automatically remove conflicting software it finds. However, check out YouTube for a clip showing F-Secure 2009 having serious trouble installing on a badly infected PC, a not unlikely scenario. For coping with situations like this, a bootable rescue CD ISO image is available for free download from F-Secure. There's also a free online scanner as well.
F-Secure licenses multiple AV technologies from other vendors and can scan files on demand, on access and on schedule. F-Secure Internet Security 2009 also scans in and outgoing POP3, SMTP and IMAP email messages.
The major independent AV group testers give F-Secure a pretty good, almost flawless, report card. ICSA Labs fully certified it for virus detection and cleaning and it has enjoyed VB100 awards for the past five years with just one exception. It's also been scored highly by AV-Comparatives and AV-Test.
In action, it can be slow dealing with infected files it detects, even though they may not actually be active — that is, they may be present in memory. F-Secure stops to look for other infections, real or imagined. It's thorough but erring on the side of caution can make it very slow.
The firewall puts all of your system's ports into stealth mode, making it invisible to outside hackers. It has a long list of ‘pre-approved' programs but it still asks many questions about allowing Internet access to programs. For example, the F-Secure tool for gathering system data for tech support is a standard tool, nslookup — which F-Secure didn't recognise.
F-Secure's antispam subtly integrates with Vista's Windows Mail (adding its own Sidebar gadget). All MS email clients are supported and it's easy to use others such as Thunderbird.
The spam filter worked well, correctly identifying and moving spam to the Deleted Items folder without further ado. It can also make use of Real-time Block Lists to improve its accuracy. It's a shame it doesn't ‘whitelist' automatically.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Acer Swift 7
Google Daydream VR headset
Huawei Mate 9
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® Portable SSD
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Surface Pro 4
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- Britain's wartime codebreaking base could host a national cyber security college
- Kaspersky Labs says Microsoft is anticompetitive towards third-party antivirus
- Password manager LastPass now works on all your devices for free
- Netgear tweaks its home security camera line by introducing the Arlo Pro
GGG Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSalesforce AdministratorQLD
- CCIntegration DeveloperNSW
- CCWindows AdministratorACT
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- TPIT Project Officer - TMRQLD
- FTTechnical SpecialistNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Project Coordinator - Banking/Financial ServicesNSW
- TPICT Contracts Compliance ManagerWA
- FTSenior Database AdministratorVIC
- CCIT Procurement OfficerNSW
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- FTSales Account Manager | Cloud Solutions | Global Tech GiantNSW
- FTConsultant Business AnalystQLD
- FTPart Time - IT Service Desk AnalystVIC
- CCERP Business Analyst (Time Capture/ Management) - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- TPInformation Management SpecialistVIC
- FTBusiness AnalystNSW
- TPBusiness Analyst AO7QLD
- FTTechnical Consultant - SQL Server programming skillsACT
- CCTelecommunication Operations SpecialistTAS
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- FTSenior Functional Consultant - Data Analytics - TelcoVIC
- CCBusiness Project ManagerNSW
- CCFront-End DeveloperQLD