F-Secure Internet Security 2009
- Spam filter worked well, scores highly in antivirus tests
- No automatic whitelisting for spam filter, needs a lot of user intervention, can be slow dealing with infected files it detects
F-Secure Internet Security 2009 is accurate but suffers from usability drawbacks such as a requirement for a relatively high degree of user intervention. This makes it more awkward to use than some smarter rivals. F-Secure Internet Security 2009 delivers the goods to those prepared to wait.
Price$ 135.00 (AUD)
F-Secure Internet Security 2009 adds 64-bit Windows Vista support to its impressive reputation for finding and evicting malware
F-Secure Internet Security 2009 is a security suite comprising antivirus, antispyware, antispam, antiphishing and personal firewall tools for Windows PCs. Comparing to last year's model, improvements are modest. These include faster installation, a tweaked interface, improved anti-malware accuracy and support for 64-bit Vista.
F-Secure gave a trouble-free install on a clean PC and can automatically remove conflicting software it finds. However, check out YouTube for a clip showing F-Secure 2009 having serious trouble installing on a badly infected PC, a not unlikely scenario. For coping with situations like this, a bootable rescue CD ISO image is available for free download from F-Secure. There's also a free online scanner as well.
F-Secure licenses multiple AV technologies from other vendors and can scan files on demand, on access and on schedule. F-Secure Internet Security 2009 also scans in and outgoing POP3, SMTP and IMAP email messages.
The major independent AV group testers give F-Secure a pretty good, almost flawless, report card. ICSA Labs fully certified it for virus detection and cleaning and it has enjoyed VB100 awards for the past five years with just one exception. It's also been scored highly by AV-Comparatives and AV-Test.
In action, it can be slow dealing with infected files it detects, even though they may not actually be active — that is, they may be present in memory. F-Secure stops to look for other infections, real or imagined. It's thorough but erring on the side of caution can make it very slow.
The firewall puts all of your system's ports into stealth mode, making it invisible to outside hackers. It has a long list of ‘pre-approved' programs but it still asks many questions about allowing Internet access to programs. For example, the F-Secure tool for gathering system data for tech support is a standard tool, nslookup — which F-Secure didn't recognise.
F-Secure's antispam subtly integrates with Vista's Windows Mail (adding its own Sidebar gadget). All MS email clients are supported and it's easy to use others such as Thunderbird.
The spam filter worked well, correctly identifying and moving spam to the Deleted Items folder without further ado. It can also make use of Real-time Block Lists to improve its accuracy. It's a shame it doesn't ‘whitelist' automatically.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Hackers use old Stuxnet-related bug to carry out attacks
- A vigilante hacker may have built a computer worm to protect the IoT
- Suspected CIA spying tools linked to hacks in 16 countries
- The iCloud hackers' bitcoin ransom looks like a fake
- WikiLeaks: CIA used bits of Carberp Trojan code for malware deployment
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCUser ResearchNSW
- FTContracts ManagerNSW
- FTTester AnalystACT
- FTVDI EngineerACT
- CCSenior Full-Stack Developer (Digital Transformation Project)QLD
- CCSenior Devops EngineerVIC
- FTDevelopment Team LeadQLD
- TPProject/Deployment ManagerQLD
- TPProgram Manager - 12 month contractQLD
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTSenior IOS DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Network Security EngineerNSW
- FTPHP / WordPress DeveloperQLD
- CCBusiness Analyst - Cyber Security EnvironmentACT
- FTNetwork EngineerSA
- CCMaster Data Analyst - SAPNSW
- FTProject Manager- RiskSA
- FTSystem AnalystSA
- FTService Delivery ManagerNSW
- FTRegional Market Manager - Wide Bay RegionQLD
- FTPMO CoordinatorACT
- FTSenior Project Manager - Content MigrationVIC
- TPProduct ManagerVIC
- TPSAS DeveloperWA
- TPSenior .NET Developer (Angular or React)NSW