- Outstanding sound clarity and crispness, noise cancellation, eartips to suit most people, included case
- Cord too long and is easily tangled
Quite simply an excellent pair of earphones that provide outstanding sound clarity, the ER6i’s are a must have for any MP3 owner wishing to get the best out of their music player.
Price$ 239.00 (AUD)
Etymotic Research has long been associated with high-fidelity products, but in the ER6i they have produced a stunning consumer product that is a must have for those wishing to get the best out of their MP3 player.
Like all of Etymotic's products, the ER6i's are in-ear canal phones, which are designed to isolate outside noise in order to improve sound quality. The result is remarkable, with the ER6i's blocking out almost all outside noise during testing. In fact, the noise cancellation was so good that we had to remove our earphones when crossing the road because it was just too dangerous - extraordinary.
To achieve this noise cancellation, the ER6i's require insertion fairly deep into the ear canal. This may be uncomfortable for some and granted, it does take a while to get used to, but we were generally pleased with the comfort. We did experience a little soreness in the ear when using the earphones for longer than about two hours, but it is nothing that detracts from the overall package.
To help with comfort, Etymotic includes two different types of eartips in the ER6i sales package - foam eartips and rubber flange eartips. We much preferred the rubber flange eartips because they slid perfectly into our ear, but many people would prefer the foam option, as it can be pressed to fit into smaller ears. Because the earphones sit deep in the canal, wax builds up quickly so Etymotic recommend rinsing them in warm water regularly. The eartips are easily removed to do this - just twist and slide off.
The ER6i's use tiny filters in each earphone which prevents wax from getting into the sound components. After a period of time, the filters will become clogged and will need to be replaced - but thankfully Etymotic have provided replacement filters and a small screwdriver-like tool to do so. The process is simple - insert the tool into the filter and remove. It's a bizarre practice, but one that helps extend the life-time of the ER6i's and thus gets the thumbs up in our books.
The sound quality of the ER6i's can be described in one word - amazing. We were blown away by the crisp, clear quality and clarity that the earphones produce. Combined with the noise isolation features, we heard music tones and features that we've never heard before, such as underlying bass riffs. The treble was excellent and while the bass reproduction wasn't the best we've heard, it is more than adequate provided you've got the tips inserted deep enough into your ear. We tested the ER6i's with an iPod nano and they responded extremely well to equalisation settings, such as Bass Boost.
So what's wrong with the ER6i's? Well, not much at all to be honest. The only gripe we had with the earphones was the cord - it is too long, tangles easily and doesn't look like something you'd associate with a high quality product like this one. However in saying this, it is a minor issue and one that you will forget about when you listen to the earphones for the first time. To round out the package, the ER6i's include a handy pouch to store the earphones whilst not in use.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Huawei Mate 9
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Google Daydream VR headset
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® Portable SSD
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Surface Pro 4
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Apple's AirPods could deliver audio with multiple wireless protocols
- First look: Nuheara IQbuds smart Bluetooth ear buds do more than just music
- Convoy International restructures business focus
- Beats Solo2 headphones go wireless for $399
- Astro A38 review: A staggering price to pay for convenience
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior Functional Consultant - Data Analytics - TelcoVIC
- CCProject Manager (Event Management)NSW
- CCDesktop RolloutVIC
- CCSenior Mobile Application DeveloperNSW
- FTMicrosoft ConsultantVIC
- FTSales Account Manager | Cloud Solutions | Global Tech GiantNSW
- CCCyber Security ProfessionalACT
- CCInfrastructure Test AnalystACT
- TPMicrosoft Dynamics DeveloperNSW
- FTSolutions Software DeveloperVIC
- CCTest Automation EngineerVIC
- CCSenior Solution ArchitectNSW
- FTGraduate Software Developer - SASACT
- TPBusiness Analyst AO7QLD
- TPTest AnalystQLD
- FTC# (Full Stack) DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Technical SpecialistNSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTIntegrations DeveloperWA
- CCFullstack .Net DeveloperNSW
- TPImplementation Business Partner - Business ModernisationNSW
- FTJunior ITIL Service AnalystVIC
- CCFirewall EngineerNSW
- FTDatabase DeveloperACT
- FTFull Stack DeveloperQLD