Epson Perfection 4180 Photo
- Reasonable price, image restoration features, high resolution
- Nothing notable
The Perfection 4180 Photo is a reasonably priced, very high resolution scanner with some nifty image restoration software.
Price$ 639.00 (AUD)
The Epson Perfection 4180 Photo brings 4800dpi scanning, previously available only in high-priced corporate scanners, to the range of small-office scanners--and throws in some excellent image-enhancement features as well.
The elevated resolution should allow the 4180 to make huge enlargements from small originals without losing sharpness or detail, but we saw mixed results in our tests. The 4180 produced very clean line art at its maximum resolution, but we weren't as impressed with a colour photo print that it made from a maximum-resolution scan.
During our tests the 4180 received excellent in our scans of monochrome line art and a 100dpi scan (viewed on screen) of a 4" x 5" colour photo. In our other tests, the 4180 was slightly better than average.
It scanned a 4" x 5" colour photo at 100 dpi in 12 seconds. However, the 4180 needed 43 seconds to scan a 2" x 2" colour photo at 1200 dpi; the Epson Perfection 2580 completed the same test in 28 seconds.
For batch-scanning slides, the 4180 comes with a trio of sturdy film holders that can handle up to four 35mm slides, 12 frames from two 35mm filmstrips, or two medium-format transparencies (120mm and 220mm film sizes) at a time. For scanning transparencies, the cover of the 4180 includes a built-in adapter.
Like other models in Epson's Perfection series, the 4180 has four quick-start buttons (Start, Copy, E-Mail, and Scan & Save), plus the Epson Scan driver. The driver has three operating modes: Full Auto, for fast and easy one-click scans; Home, for choosing a few basic settings; and Professional, for complete access to the scanner's colour adjustment, tone correction and gamma controls.
We were especially impressed with the driver's excellent one-click colour restoration. It took a dull-looking 35-year-old print of a home and garden and restored colour in a bed of red roses and on the house's blue exterior. Dust removal and grain reduction, which you can apply only to film scans (not prints), did wonders at cleaning up the dust and grainy look of an old 35mm slide of a bronze statue set against a clear blue sky.
The software bundle includes the Adobe Photoshop Elements 2 image editor, the ABBYY FineReader Sprint 5 optical character recognition application, and Epson Smart Panel. The Epson utility serves as a console for common scanning tasks, such as faxing over your computer's modem. People who also want an efficient way to scan multiple-page documents should invest in Epson's optional automatic document feeder, which can handle 30 sheets at a time.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- Why won’t my printer connect to my wireless router?
- 3D printer owners rate the best 14 machines
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCSenior Full Stack Web DeveloperACT
- TPBusiness AnalystVIC
- CC1st / 2nd Level Help Desk SupportNSW
- CCSenior Devops EngineerVIC
- FTProduct Manager (IT Clinical Systems) - Permanent - Syd, Melb or BrisbNSW
- CCPMO AnalystVIC
- FTSenior IOS DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior MS Dynamics CRM Technical ConsultantVIC
- CCSenior Network Security EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Project ManagerQLD
- FTPre-Sales Solution Architect - Global Cloud OrganisationVIC
- CCSecurity Specialist - NV1ACT
- CCSenior Project OfficerNSW
- FTCRM Technical Specialist (Oracle Eloqua)SA
- FTSolution Architect - SecurityVIC
- CCIT Information Architect..VIC
- FTHR Business Analyst / Performance Management SMENSW
- TPTest and Support AnalystQLD
- CCA/V OfficerNSW
- TPBusiness Project ManagerNSW
- FTTraining Lead | Up to $800 per dayVIC
- CCCitrix SpecialistNSW
- FTNetwork EngineerSA
- FTDatacentre Solution ArchitectVIC
- CCNetwork Design SpecialistNSW