Epson Perfection 2580 Photo
- High speed, good photo image quality, image enhancement options
- Nothing notable
People who want to digitise batches of 35mm negatives will find the Perfection 2580 most useful.
Price$ 349.00 (AUD)
The Epson Perfection 2580 Photo produces high-quality images from both prints and film--and is a great value for the price. Plus, this scanner is ideal for anyone with stacks of 35mm negatives to scan.
People with large film archives will like this scanner, which has an automatic film loader built in. This nifty device lets you easily scan individual frames on 35mm negatives. Sort of like inserting a bank card into an ATM, you open the film loader door--located directly on top of the scanner cover--insert the filmstrip (containing up to six shots) in the slot provided, and push the start button. In our tests, the 2580 flawlessly fed the film into the unit and scanned and saved each frame in the strip as a separate image. The automatically scanned images did a fine job of matching the brightness, contrast and colour tones in the originals. You can also use the loader manually, which allows you to preview each frame before making the final scans.
In addition, the 2580 comes with a small slide holder that fits on the glass for scanning 35mm slides, but only one at a time. (Other models such as Epson's own Perfection 4180 Photo can scan batches of 35mm slides at once.)
The 2580 pumped out a 2" x 2" colour photo at 1200dpi in just under 28 seconds--an amazingly fast rate.
In our on-screen display of a scanned 4" x 5" colour photo, the Perfection 2580 accurately reproduced the skin tones and colour shades of the original. Our black-and-white line-art and greyscale photo scan tests, however, produced results that we rated closer to average.
The 2580 has four front-panel buttons (Start, Copy, E-Mail, and Scan & Save) for quick starts to common scanning tasks. The proficient Epson Scan driver has three operating modes: Full Auto, for fast and easy one-click scans; Home, for choosing a few basic settings; and Professional, for complete access to all scanner settings, including colour adjustment, tone correction and gamma control. We liked the 2580's image-enhancement options, such as colour restoration, dust removal and grain reduction. The colour restoration option, for example, livened up a faded photo with a red colour cast by adding more green and blue.
Bundled software includes a basic image editing application (ArcSoft PhotoImpression), a feature-limited but very accurate OCR package (ABBYY FineReader Sprint 5) and Epson's Smart Panel utility. The easy-to-use Smart Panel helps you process and manage your scans with a highly graphical interface, suitable for beginners or infrequent users. An optional Multi Photo Feeder can scan up to 24 4" x 6" photos (or business cards up to that size).
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Google Daydream VR headset
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Huawei Mate 9
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® Portable SSD
Acer Swift 7
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- Why won’t my printer connect to my wireless router?
- How 4D printing is now saving lives
- 3D printing industry to triple in four years to $21B
- Disney files patent for near instantaneous 3D printing
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCFront End DeveloperNSW
- FTEnterprise ArchitectQLD
- FTSenior Dot Net Backend Orientated DeveloperNSW
- FTApplications DeveloperACT
- CCNetwork Engineer/ Network AdministratorQLD
- FTNV1 Cleared Software Engineer (Mid level) - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTPerformance TesterACT
- FTSoftware/Mobile SupportQLD
- CCSystems Engineer (Infra)NSW
- TPOracle Consultant - CC&BQLD
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)ACT
- CCStore Project Coordinator - Large Retail ProjectNSW
- TPSolution Architect - IntegrationQLD
- CCSenior Mobile Application DeveloperNSW
- CCOrganisational Change Manager - Banking/Financial ServicesNSW
- TPOrganisational Change ManagerQLD
- CCNetwork Specialist - IPAM TelcoVIC
- CCTest AnalystWA
- CCFirewall EngineerNSW
- FTHR Payroll ConsultantQLD
- CCJava DeveloperVIC
- FTApplication Support Analyst/DeveloperNSW
- FTDrupal Developer - SeniorQLD
- FTJunior Software Engineer - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)VIC
- FTSenior Web DeveloperNSW