Epson Perfection 2480
- High speed, good image quality, image restoration features
- Nothing notable
An excellent choice for the average user, the quick-study Epson Perfection 2480 Photo scans quickly and creates good-looking images--from both photos and film--all at a bargain price.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
The Epson Perfection 2480 Photo is relatively inexpensive, yet its fine image quality and brisk performance make it excellent value. The 2480 scans both photos and film, and like previous Epson scanners, it has push buttons that quickly launch common scanning tasks, along with a versatile scanning driver (Epson Scan) that offers different user modes for novices and veterans. For example, if you choose the Perfection 2480 Photo's Full Auto mode in the driver, the scanner will recognise the type of printed image (such as a colour or black-and-white document) or type of film (negative or positive); it then scans and saves the image for you--all at the press of a button. Professional mode, on the other hand, offers complete manual control over the scanning process.
The 2480 performed very well in our speed tests, using its USB 2.0 interface. When scanning at lower resolutions (100 and 300 dots per inch), the 2480 turned in about average speeds; but it scanned fast enough at 600 and 1200dpi to earn a lower cumulative time than most other scanners in its class. For example, it scanned a 4" x 5" black-and-white photo at 600dpi in just under 26 seconds; most other SOHO scanners take from 28 to 41 seconds to complete the same scan.
Overall image quality was also impressive. The 2480 produced attractive scans of both colour and monochrome documents. It had accurate reproduction of the brightness and contrast in a black-and-white photo scanned and printed at 600dpi. The 2480 also produced accurate colour and sharp details in the on-screen reproduction of a 4" x 5" colour photo scanned at 100dpi.
The Epson Scan driver includes enhancement features that can improve the look of aged transparencies; its colour restoration, dust removal and film grain reduction features all worked well. And the 2480's optical resolution of 2400 by 4800dpi makes it possible to enlarge 35mm images up to 8" x 10" with sufficient image quality for printing. However, the 2480's film adapter can scan only a maximum of two 35mm slides or three frames in a filmstrip at once.
Bundled software includes ArcSoft PhotoImpression 5 for image editing, ABBYY FineReader 5 Sprint for optical character recognition, and Epson Smart Panel, which helps you accomplish a variety of tasks such as creating low-resolution images for uploading to a photo-sharing Web site, or for sending via email or fax. The optional automatic feeder handles multiple photo prints up to 4" x 6", as well as business cards, but it was not available for this review.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Lexar® Portable SSD
Acer Swift 7
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Google Daydream VR headset
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Huawei Mate 9
Surface Pro 4
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- Why won’t my printer connect to my wireless router?
- How 4D printing is now saving lives
- 3D printing industry to triple in four years to $21B
- Disney files patent for near instantaneous 3D printing
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCTest Capability LeadNSW
- FTIT Project Coordinator - Mascot/AlexandriaNSW
- TPDigital Strategist - Newcastle BasedNSW
- FTData AnalystQLD
- TPDigital Project ManagerVIC
- TPGIS Developer - 6 month ContractQLD
- CCService ManagerACT
- CCFirewall EngineerNSW
- CCSystems Engineer (Infra)NSW
- FTSenior Business Project ManagerNSW
- FTLife/400 Resource - PermanentNSW
- CCSAP Billing & Invoicing ConsultantNSW
- TPAnalyst Workplace SupportVIC
- CCSenior .NET DeveloperNSW
- FTPrincipal Architect - Infrastructure | Major BankVIC
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- FTSenior Technical Consultant - SQLACT
- CCSystems Engineer (Systems Architect/Designer)VIC
- FTSenior Web DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Java EngineerACT
- TPOrganisational Change Manager | Enterprise Information SharingQLD
- TPSenior Analyst Programmer - ContractQLD
- FTSenior Security Sales SpecialistVIC
- FTMid Level PHP DeveloperNSW
- CCSAP Consultant - SAP Native HANA to DesignWA