This Full HD 1080p home theatre projector from Epson costs less than $3000 and has plenty of adjustment options.
- Good picture quality, high brightness
- Slightly loud in high brightness mode
Epson’s EH-TW3000 Full HD 1080p home theatre projector is a great all-round model. It costs less than $3000 and it performs almost as well as models costing significantly more.
Price$ 2,999.00 (AUD)
The Epson EH-TW3000 is a home theatre projector that provides a native Full HD 1080p resolution and plenty of picture adjustment for under $3000. The image it creates is of good quality and is almost as refined as much more expensive models.
Like other Epson projectors we have reviewed such as the Epson EH-DM2 and the Epson W6, the Epson EH-TW3000 has a pleasant white exterior and a rather standard layout. The lens is offset to the left hand side of the chassis, while the on-board controls are in the centre of the home theatre projector’s top face.
If you’re planning to connect a multitude of video devices to the Epson EH-TW3000 you will be well catered for. Two HDMI 1.3a ports as well as individual component, composite, S-Video and VGA connectors means plenty of devices can be connected simultaneously.
The specifications of the EH-TW3000 are impressive. A dynamic contrast ratio of 18000:1 is impressive, especially when combined with a high brightness level of 1800 ANSI lumens. A 10-bit colour processor means images have a wide colour gamut, while Epson’s latest D7 image processing chip allows deep blacks and drastically reduced image noise.
It looks great on paper… and it’s just as good in real life. We set the Epson EH-TW3000 up with a Sony BDP-S350 and played some Planet Earth Blu-ray discs to test out the home theatre projector’s Full HD capabilities.
It did not disappoint, with consistent sharpness and fine image detail from corner to corner. In its default settings we definitely found the image too bright — with the added downside of producing intrusive fan noise. When the brightness was lowered to more theatre room-friendly levels fan noise dropped off to near-inaudible levels.
The dynamic iris mode is exceptionally fast — in most cases we were unable to detect when the brightness was being lowered and boosted. Because of this, the contrast between light and dark scenes is great with plenty of detail visible in both extremes.
Even in our standard definition video tests, with the difficult lobby scene from The Matrix, the Epson EH-TW3000’s up-scaler efficiently displayed video with no aberrations or artifacting.
There are no areas where the Epson EH-TW3000 struggles. It is a capable all-round home theatre projector for a good price, so if you are considering a more expensive model, check out Epson’s offering as well.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Lexar® Portable SSD
Acer Swift 7
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Google Daydream VR headset
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Huawei Mate 9
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Surface Pro 4
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 2 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- 3 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 4 Garmin Fenix Chronos fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 5 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
Latest News Articles
- EC says LCD screen cartel is active globally
- Sharp to increase LCD panel production on higher demand
- Dick Smith report says Australians keen to switch to digital radio
- Samsung, Numonyx to develop PCM specifications
- Faster SD cards could reach devices next year
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Behind the scenes with Team Walkinshaw at V8 Supercars Melbourne 2017
- And the 2017 winner of the Formula 1 Best Pit Lane Boom Gantry is...
- First look at the Formula 1 2017 pit lane in Melbourne, Australia
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- TPBusiness Analyst - Infrastructure ProjectQLD
- FTGraduate Application Support Analyst -SMSF SoftwareNSW
- CCTSM SpecialistNSW
- FTSenior Security Sales SpecialistVIC
- CCOracle Middleware Production SupportACT
- FTIT ManagerVIC
- FTSnr Salesforce Technical Consultant/Architect Global IT Company - SydneyNSW
- FTSenior Network Specialist - Internet Edge DatacentreVIC
- FTSenior C# DeveloperNSW
- TPBusiness Implementation ManagerNSW
- FTProject AnalystACT
- TPAEM DeveloperNSW
- TPFull Stack .NET DeveloperWA
- FTSenior Oracle DeveloperVIC
- FTSAP Data Migration SpecialistACT
- FTFunctional Consultant - CommercialsQLD
- FTSenior Business Analysis - FinanceQLD
- CCOracle WebLogic AdministratorNSW
- FTApplication Support Analyst - SMSF solutions - www.class.com.auNSW
- FT.net Developer (Front and Back end)QLD
- FTAgile CoachVIC
- FTSystem EngineersVIC
- CCPMO Analyst - Financial ServicesNSW
- FTWeb Support LeadQLD