Epson AcuLaser C4200
- Easy access to consumables, good-quality, fast
Easy access to consumables, adequate paper capacity, fast print speeds, and impressive quality help make the Epson AcuLaser C4200DN a fantastic networkable laser for a demanding small office.
Price$ 3,840.00 (AUD)
As far as networkable colour laser printers go, Epson's AcuLaser C4200DN is handcrafted for the small to medium business.
The 35kg gray and beige machine features a silver front panel with a sparse collection of buttons to drive functions. A small LCD screen is also present to help guide users through any issues that may arise. Drivers ship with the product for every version of Windows from 98 onwards, and Mac is covered from OS 9. The machine itself stands around 45cm tall and 43cm wide, but you'll have to make sure you have a deep desk to install it on as it measures nearly 60cm from front to back.
Epson ships the unit with all toner cartridges installed, so all you need to do is remove the photoconductor from its sealed bag and drop it into the printer. The company has cleverly designed the machine with serviceability in mind, and all four toner cartridges are located on the top of the unit under a single plastic panel. Replacing each takes no more than a few seconds, and it's a job that anybody in the office could do. The photoconductor unit is also towards the top of the machine, and the paper tray is accessible from the front. The rear panel includes parallel, USB, and 10/100 base Ethernet ports, which provide ample interfaces to keep up with the demands of a busy small office.
The C4200DN is able to store up to 700 A4 sheets of paper in the document trays, which should be plenty to keep a business running. The standard output tray holds 250 sheets, and it's possible to add an 1100-sheet feeder and duplexer to really beef up the output.
As is to be expected with a high-powered colour laser of this ilk, the Epson unit includes support for a number of emulations including ESC/Page and Adobe PostScript 3. PCL 5c is also available for those that demand specific support. The unit ships with 128 MB of memory by default, which is upgradeable to 640MB in total and helped the machine notch up some impressive print times. The C4200DN is a single pass colour laser, meaning that the paper only means to roll through the print engine a single time for all colours to be printed on it. This leads to blisteringly fast print speeds, and the AcuLaser was able to reach 23 pages per minute in colour draft mode, and 33 in monochrome.
While the output in draft mode appeared a little washed out, high-quality settings really up the ante. Epson's AcuBrite toners deliver outstanding colour accuracy, and Epson is also able to optimise the printer's 1200dpi output and achieve up to 4800dpi by scaling the dots printed on the page. The result is exceptionally clear, with consistent shading and colour accuracy.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- Why won’t my printer connect to my wireless router?
- 3D printer owners rate the best 14 machines
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSalesforce ConsultantQLD
- FTSolution Architect l MS Exchange, O365NSW
- FTSenior C# DeveloperNSW
- CCArchitect/Senior Capacity Planner Network Engineering - TelcoVIC
- CCTechnical Business Analyst - Infrastructure - VirtualizationNSW
- TPSystems EngineerQLD
- FTSenior Project Manager (Wealth)NSW
- FTHRIS Systems Support Analyst (Kronos)NSW
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTAsst. Director - Claim Analysis. Work Location - CanberraACT
- FTSecurity Solutions Manager - Perth BasedNSW
- FTUI/UX DesignerSA
- FTTest AnalystNSW
- FTDevOps EngineerNSW
- FTNetwork EngineerSA
- FTField Engineer - Hardware RolloutsNSW
- CCTelecommunication Business SpecialistTAS
- FTInformation Security ManagerACT
- CCApplication Developer - Datastage & SQL ServerVIC
- FTTest Analyst - HCMSNSW
- FTBI BA Consultant l Microstrategy, Business ObjectsNSW
- FTProduct LeadVIC
- CCOIM-IAM Environment ManagerVIC
- FTCitrix Engineer/Designer - AWS experience essentialNSW