Watch online videos at your own pace with MySpeed
- Simple to use
- Not cheap
For those who need to transcribe from online video, MySpeed may well be worth a shot
Price$ 29.99 (AUD)
Note: pricing for this product is in US$.
Online video sites such as YouTube have one primary drawback: You can't speed up or slow down the videos, as you normally can with a DVD player. That means that if there are ads in the videos, you have to sit through them. And if you need to slow down the video--say for transcribing the audio--you're out of luck. That's where MySpeed comes in. It lets you speed up video by up to five times, and slow down playback all the way down to 30 percent of the original speed. That way, you can zip through ads, and slow down people's speech to hear it more clearly.
Using MySpeed is simplicity itself. Start the program and then visit a video site. When you want to change the speed with which the video plays, just move the slider to the proper speed. That's all it takes.
Keep in mind, though, that the sound gets sped up or slowed down to match the speed of the video. At very high speeds the sound may suffer from the "chipmunk effect," and at very low speeds it may suffers from a monster-voice effect. MySpeed's developer says steps have been taken to minimize those effects, but they're still noticeable. Transcibers should note that slowing down the speed moderately distorts the voice only slightly, so that it's still suitable for transcriptions. Slow it down too much, though, and the voice is hard to understand.
MySpeed works only with sites that use Flash for video play. YouTube and most other video sites use Flash, but there is a chance that it won't work with every site you come across.
The only serious drawback to this program is its price. At US$30, it doesn't come cheap. It may not be worthwhile to pay for it if all you want to do is get through ads quickly. But for those who need to transcribe from online video, MySpeed may well be worth a shot.
Note that there are two versions of this program: MySpeed at $30, and MySpeed Premier at $100. The Premier version does everything the standard version does, and also allows you to save videos and view them offline.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Ford Focus ST (2015) review: Absolutely mental styling, engine, handling
- 2 LG 65-inch UHD TV (65UF950T) review
- 3 Playing chicken with a Tesla Model S
- 4 Audi TT (2015) review: A smarter take on the sports coupe
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Deals on Good Gear Guide
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Facebook aims to launch unmanned drone by year-end
- Windows 10 launches with its fair share of bugs
- These graphics cards and processors support Windows 10's DirectX 12 graphics tech
- Windows 10 is a free upgrade for Windows 7 and Windows 8 users
- Hands on with Windows 10's Windows Hello: It just works
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTDevOps Consultant - Microsoft Experience - Digital ConsultancyVIC
- FTField EngineerNSW
- CCLead Generator - Software SolutionsNSW
- FTSenior Network EngineerNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager & Account ManagerVIC
- FTDesktop Engineering ManagerNSW
- CCMarketing Coordinator - World's largest search engine!NSW
- CCAccount Strategist | Sales Executive | Global Search EngineNSW
- FTTechnical Sales Support Representative - The Worlds largest Search Engine!NSW