engin Voice Box 3102
- Competitively priced, allows both landline and VoIP calls through a single handset, easy setup, 30-day trial period, switchback feature
- VoIP requires AC power to make calls, quality of VoIP calls dependant on a number of factors out of your control
The Voice Box 3102 is a simple and easy option if you are looking for a way to save money on your telephone bill. With a 30-day trial period, it's definitely worth a look, especially for home and small office users.
Price$ 129.00 (AUD)
Connecting to both your existing landline and your Internet connection, engin's latest Voice Box - the 3102 - is a simple looking device that allows you to make VoIP calls using the engin service. Conveniently, it does so while still being able to make and receive regular landline calls - all using your existing telephone.
The engin VoIP service is for those who are looking to save money on their phone bills. Engin allows you to make and receive telephone calls using a broadband Internet connection. The advantage of this technology is significantly reduced local, mobile and international call rates, details of which can be found on engin's website.
The Voice Box 3102 connects your existing telephone, landline and your broadband Internet connection through a single box. The actual hardware is a Linksys Voice Gateway with Router, although it naturally features prominent engin branding. Setup is fairly easy, simply connect the Voice Box to your modem or router with the included Ethernet cable, connect your regular landline to the Voice Box and finally, connect your telephone. The unit runs on AC power, but features switchback; this allows the Voice Box 3102 to use your existing landline in the event of a blackout.
The quality of the engin service in tandem with the 3102 is quite good, although it ultimately depends on a number of factors out of your control - namely, the quality of your Internet connection. Most of our calls were conducted in a clear, static-free manner, though we did experience a couple of drop-outs during testing. Do note that as your Internet connection is used to operate the service, surfing the Internet and/or downloading large files while talking over VoIP may cause a drop in quality.
The Voice Box 3102 has plenty of features including call-waiting, 3-way calling, caller ID, call forwarding, voicemail and switchback - some of these would normally incur extra charges from traditional telephone carriers such as Telstra and Optus. Engin has a range of residential plans, starting from $9.95 per month and peaking at $19.95 per month, and there are business plans as well. For more details click here.
The Voice Box 3102 can be purchased for $29.95 if you sign up to a 12-month contract and comes with a 30-day trial period - if you aren't happy with the service, simply return the unit to engin and you will be offered a full refund, minus the cost of any calls you made.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Google Daydream VR headset
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Lexar® Portable SSD
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Huawei Mate 9
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Surface Pro 4
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Chips coming by June will herald the next generation of Wi-Fi
- Plume's 'routerless' mesh network blankets your home in Wi-Fi with an army of tiny pods
- Netgear Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router goes all the way to 11
- New Skype Preview lets Windows 10 Insiders manage phone texts on PCs
- Telstra’s ‘Free Data Day” sets new record for mobile downloads
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior Project Manager - Permanent OpportunityNSW
- CCTest AnalystQLD
- FTApplication Support SpecialistNSW
- CCArcSight Security Engineer - Contract - IT Services - SydneyNSW
- TPAgile CoachNSW
- FTMid-Level Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)ACT
- FTEnterprise Account ManagerNSW
- TPService Desk Analyst - Level 1VIC
- CCIT Procurement OfficerNSW
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net Developer with Strong SQL DevNSW
- TPAPS6/EL1 Database Modelling SpecialistACT
- FTLevel 2 Technical Support OfficerQLD
- CCServiceNOW DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)Other
- TPSenior Project CoordinatorNSW
- TPSenior Analyst Programmer - ContractQLD
- CCSQL Database AdministratorQLD
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- TPSoftware EngineerWA
- FTWeb Developer / Applications AnalystQLD
- TPSOE AdministratorQLD
- TPAEM DeveloperNSW
- TPMid-Level Java DeveloperNSW
- CCTest Capability LeadNSW