engin SoftPhone Starter Pack
- Call Rates, RRP, Package on a whole
- 2 hours offer doesn't apply to all countries, Softphone interface could be improved
Including a headset and two hours free talk time, the Engin Softphone Starter pack is a good buy with only a few minor issues.
Price$ 9.95 (AUD)
Engin are a broadband phone company who specialise in VoIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) and their Softphone Starter Pack is a great, low cost way for consumers to get a taste of this new technology.
The Engin Softphone Starter pack includes up to two hours of free talk-time at an international rate of 3.5 cents per minute for the UK, Canada, USA, China, Hong Kong and New Zealand. You are still able to call anywhere in the world at different rates available from the Engin website . For example, calling Italy is charged at four cents per minute instead of 3.5. We still think these prices are very competitive and you do get pretty good value for money.
In terms of domestic rates, Engin's service is equally competitive; a flat rate of 10c for standard local and national calls, with mobiles slightly more expensive at 27 cents per minute. Furthermore, calls between Engin numbers are entirely free. For those who call you, the rates are the same as standard landline calls - local area and long distance.
The Softphone Starter Pack includes a single earpiece with inbuilt microphone, a CD containing the eyeBeam software and a card with your unique service key. The Starter Pack is incredible easy to set up; simply register an Engin account, install the Softphone application and plug in your earpiece and microphone. Once your registration is complete, Engin supply you with a unique phone number, just like a normal landline. If your computer is on and your broadband connection running, this number can be dialed as you would a normal telephone and you simply use the software to answer the call. The fact that you get a phone number for incoming calls is a big plus for the Engin service.
The Engin eyeBeam software is fairly easy to use, although the interface is not as intuitive as we would have liked. In particular the buttons are very close to each other so if you are using a mouse, it may become a slow process. There are mute and speakerphone functions as well as six speed dial spaces where you can store frequently dialed numbers. Conveniently, there are speaker and microphone volume controls beside the keypad, so it's easy to adjust volume levels during calls.
With these types of packages, it all comes down to quality of service and we were pleased to report that we had no major concerns with Engin in this regard. It is important to note though, that quality of service does depend on a number of variables. In our experience calls were clear, loud and for most part our friends thought we were calling them on a standard landline telephone. Our only issue is with the included headset. Although we didn't expect much considering the Starter Pack costs less than $10, its quality is fairly poor. Its good enough to give you a taste of this technology, but we recommend a VoIP headset for optimum performance. At this price though we can't really complain.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Drupal fixes critical access bypass vulnerability
- Hackers use old Stuxnet-related bug to carry out attacks
- Microsoft will cut services to standalone Office users so they’ll subscribe to Office 365
- Microsoft commits to a permament schedule for new Windows 10, Office updates
- OK Google, let's get personal
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTBusiness Specialist - TelecommunicationsNSW
- TPSolution ArchitectQLD
- TPSenior Full-Stack DeveloperSA
- FTTeam Leader Application SupportVIC
- FTHTML DeveloperNSW
- FTSystem Analyst - IntegrationQLD
- FTPayroll Systems AnalystQLD
- FTStorage EngineerSA
- FTSAP APO ConsultantNSW
- FTHelpdesk SupportNSW
- TPLevel 2-3 Helpdesk OfficerQLD
- TPLinux System AdministratorQLD
- FTSenior Business Analyst Forecaster - TelecommunicationsNSW
- FTDigital Sales Account Manager - Global Ecommerce BrandNSW
- CCProject Manager - Security - TelcoVIC
- CCService Delivery Analyst -Port MacquarieNSW
- TPProject Manager | HealthQLD
- FTProduct LeadVIC
- FTSolution Architect - SecurityVIC
- FTIT Service Desk Manager - Team LeaderNSW
- CCSolution DesignerVIC
- FTFront End .Net Developer. Permanent jobACT
- TPTest and Support AnalystQLD
- FTMidrange Application Developer (.Net)ACT
- CCFirewall EngineerNSW