FlexScan S2242W LCD monitor
In essence Eizo has shoehorned a 24in monitor into a 22in shell
- 1920x1200 resolution, price
- Pixel density can make it less ergonomic to use than larger monitors
To create the Eizo FlexScan S2242W, Eizo has trimmed one of its superlative monitors to nearly the bare minimum — but the core product is good, and offers good value for money if you need outstanding image quality.
With everyone watching their budget at the moment, including creative professionals who need a high-quality screen, the arrival of the Eizo FlexScan S2242W is timely.
In essence Eizo has shoehorned a 24in monitor into a 22in shell, allowing the company to add a relatively reasonable price. Eizo says that it can also save you up to 10 percent of desk space — but price is the main reason to purchase the Eizo FlexScan S2242W.
The Eizo FlexScan S2242W monitor has the same 1920x1200 resolution as 24in and larger displays, so the S2242W's pixels are closer together. This makes can make it less ergonomic to use, as you have to sit closer to it than you do to a larger display.
The Eizo FlexScan S2242W looks almost cheap next to monitors such as NEC's MultiSync LCD2690WUXi2 — there's a lack of finesse to its design. A line of buttons along the lower part of its bezel is initially mysterious, presenting a jumble of letters and numbers whose purpose isn't immediately apparent. But once you get into the menu system, there are far more controls than you'd expect on a £400 monitor — including gamma, gain and colour temperature presets from 4000K to 10,000K.
The menu system allows you to turn on the Eizo FlexScan S2242W's Auto EcoView feature, which uses a light sensor to adjust brightness to the optimum for the lighting at your desk. This is designed more to save energy than keep your display's colours accurate, as raising or lowering the brightness can throw out any calibration you've applied.
We created a profile for the monitor using a DataColor Spyder3Elite calibrator and brought the resulting ICM file into Chromix ColorThink to inspect it. We saw quite a change between the provided profile and our calibration — though this was mainly a drop in brightness rather than a huge colour shift. Our tests showed that the Eizo FlexScan S2242W's gamut was expansive considering the price, though not as good as the dearer NEC's.
The Eizo FlexScan S2242W has only one DVI input — if you have a second computer for production or rendering or other tasks than doesn't require a sharp picture, there's a VGA port as well.
Eizo has bundled a bare minimum of software with the Eizo FlexScan S2242W and we even had to download the standard colour profile from the Eizo Web site. There are a couple of Windows-only tools, however, that replicate the monitor's OSD.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Lexar® Portable SSD
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Google Daydream VR headset
Huawei Mate 9
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Acer Swift 7
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Dell's monstrous 70-inch touchscreen monitor takes aim at Microsoft's Surface Hub
- Dell's 4-screen multimonitor setup looks like one enormous 43-inch display
- Foxconn to pay over $US6bn for a majority stake in Sharp
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Kogan forced to pay $32,400 penalty by ACCC
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCTest LeadQLD
- CCIT Operations Centre EngineerQLD
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- CCSQL Server BI DeveloperQLD
- CCSystem EngineerSA
- CCNetwork Engineer/ Network AdministratorQLD
- CCIT Senior Business AnalystNSW
- FTJunior Software Engineer - Positive Vetting, NV2 or NV1 requiredSA
- FTFront-End DevOps Developer/Consultant - IT Services - SydneyNSW
- TPDeployment Specialist (DevOps)QLD
- CCCA ITCM / ITCA EngineerNSW
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- CCUnix Systems AdministratorNSW
- CCSystems Engineer (Infra)NSW
- FTLife/400 Resource - PermanentNSW
- CCNetwork ArchitectWA
- FTPMO Coordinator-Permanent Opportunity-Education/Government Background EssentialNSW
- CCSAP Billing & Invoicing ConsultantNSW
- CCSenior Technical SpecialistNSW
- CCSystem EngineerSA
- FTFront End DeveloperQLD
- TPBI Commercial AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Technical Consultant - SQLACT
- TPAgile CoachNSW
- TPImplementation Business Partner - Business ModernisationNSW