Edimax WP-S1100 media streamer
This Edimax wireless media streamer supports high-definition video codecs
- H.264 codec support, 802.11b/g/n wireless, trouble-free set up
- Requires intermediate PC knowledge to set up, no playback controls
If you’ve got a reasonable knowledge of networking and computers and want to play your media files on your projector or TV, Edimax’s WP-S1100 media streamer is a good choice.
Price$ 599.00 (AUD)
The Edimax WP-S1100 is a wireless media streamer that connects to your projector or high definition television and relays compressed video files from your wireless-enabled PC or laptop computer. It requires a small amount of networking know-how but once set up it is an easy solution for broadcasting from your computer to a projector or TV.
The Edimax WP-S1100 mimics a normal wireless router in looks, with a body the size of a DVD case and two thick wireless antennas. It will easily hide out of place behind your television screen or projector, although it has an internal fan that can be heard if the room you’re in is quiet. HDMI and VGA ports on the player’s rear connect to a variety of 4:3 and 16:9 resolutions, including Full HD 1080p. There’s also a USB port and an RJ45 socket for a wired network connection.
To get the Edimax WP-S1100 up and running is an intensive process for anyone unfamiliar with computer networking. The quick start guide is simple enough to follow, though — if you’ve got a spare half hour, you should have no problems. After connecting your computer to the Edimax WP-S1100, a small download is necessary to install the Edimax media player software. Once installed, the software presents an option to switch between presentation mode and a media player — optimised for video playback. It’s easy to select a video file on your computer within the software and hit the play button, from there the WP-S1100 takes over and plays the video file.
Picture quality is perfectly fine, with no obvious degradation from the source content. One problem we encountered was a lack of playback controls when watching video content — the file can be paused by entering the on-screen menu, but there’s no option to fast forward or rewind. The Edimax WP-S1100 supports a range of file formats in MPEG1/2/4 containers including DivX and similarly popular codecs, while h.264 support is great for high definition video files. We tested it with video files ranging in quality from 480p DVD quality to 720p and 1080p high definition formats — when broadcasting from a 802.11n-enabled laptop there were no drop-outs or stuttering issues.
Edimax’s WP-S1100 media streamer relies heavily on a PC for content to be selected and played back — it has no ability to search a network for files remotely. With this caveat in mind, it does its job well — so if you’re a competent PC user looking for a way to connect your projector or TV without unsightly cables, Edimax has created a simple, complication-free solution.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® Portable SSD
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Huawei Mate 9
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Acer Swift 7
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Surface Pro 4
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
- AirTV's slick marriage of Sling TV and OTA channels isn't in the product yet
- Here's what's coming next from Sling TV
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTFull stack Developer - Senior (Java or C# and AngularJS) x 3QLD
- CCSalesforce - Functional Analyst (BA)NSW
- CCFinance Analyst/ Project SpecialistVIC
- CCPMO Analyst - Financial ServicesNSW
- CCDevops EngineerNSW
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Sales & Marketing Modules)VIC
- CCSQL Server BI DeveloperQLD
- CCSenior Life 400 DeveloperNSW
- TPSenior IT Business AnalystVIC
- CCSAP Consultant - SAP Native HANA to DesignWA
- FTNodeJS DeveloperNSW
- FTDevelopment Manager - SaaSQLD
- FTSenior Functional Consultant - Data Analytics - TelcoVIC
- CCLevel 2 IT Service DeskQLD
- FTFull Stack Web Developer .NET or JAVANSW
- TPOrganisational Change Manager - ICT Services TransformationQLD
- FTSenior Network AdministratorNSW
- CCPega DeveloperNSW
- CCUnix AdministratorNSW
- FTOracle Forms PL/SQL Analyst ProgrammerQLD
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCTest AnalystQLD
- TPDesktop Support OfficerQLD
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Technical ArchitectACT
- CCCommercial Contract AdministratorNSW