App review: eBay for iOS
The eBay app allows you to hunt for bargains while you're on the move
- Full website experience in app
- Simple and clear UI
- Barcode scanner doesn’t always work
- No account management capability
While it has minor flaws, the eBay app will give busy users control of their actions through a well-designed app. This can be particularly useful when running around retail stores as a price-comparison tool.
EBay’s iOS app uses a centralised and clear user interface to bring the website’s functionality to a smartphone. The design is simple and the layout is easy to understand. Features can easily be noticed and the most frequently used elements are positioned on the home screen. There is room for a few minor tweaks though, in terms of managing an account and the barcode reader.
The eBay app's home page is where you will spend most your time. The page features everything required to monitor purchases and sales, alongside messages, reminders, saved items, and, of course, the search bar. Towards the bottom you will find a special deals tab, recently purchased items, and a link to your account’s feedback page.
The search tab of the app is self-explanatory, and also contains recent and saved searches. The sell page is also self-explanatory.
The 'My eBay' feature provides a list of active and ended items that you are watching, buying, or selling, depending on the active option.
The settings page offers basic housekeeping options, including notifications, PayPal login, and a contact page. The ‘Show Help Menus’ button at the bottom of this tab does not seem to do anything; once tapped, it turns blue for a moment, then goes back to normal. EBay does not allow you to edit your actual account; to make any changes to your account, you will need to fire up the desktop website.
A great feature of eBay is the barcode scanner located beside every search bar within the app. It uses the smartphone’s camera to snap a product’s barcode or QR code, and searches for the product automatically. Unfortunately, the feature seems to either return no results or it finds matches very slowly.
Requirements: iOS 4.2+
Reviewed on: iPhone 5
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Plex's new universal Windows app powers up media playback with key Windows 10 features
- Steam's mobile app finally lands on Windows Phones
- Google Fit is getting a visual overhaul with new widget and Android Wear faces
- Facebook, Google dominate list of top 15 mobile apps
- Snapchat's Discover feature gets magazine-style makeover
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCSales Support Associate - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Microsoft Active DirectoryNSW
- FTSAP ESB Service Management SpecialistVIC
- FTSoftware Tester | Innovation | Business FacingNSW
- FTCisco IP Telephony EngineerNSW
- FTSQL DATA AnalyticsNSW
- CCIP & Fixed Process Improvement SpecialistVIC
- CCDatabase AdministratorNSW
- FTPositive Vetted ICT positions - Defence intelligence and information securityACT
- CCCRM DeveloperACT
- CCBPM Solution ArchitectVIC
- CCInfrastructure Project ManagerACT
- FTApplication Support AnalystSA
- CCService Lead - Cloud hosting and storageNSW
- FTDesktop Support Engineer (Renewable Contract)Asia
- CCSOA -Solution Architect -baselineACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Oracle) 160728/AP/623Asia
- CCTest Lead-Agile, SCRUM, HP QC, JIRA, UX Government backgroundNSW
- CCSolution DesignerNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - End-User ComputingNSW
- CCDigital Project Manager, AgileNSW
- CCLead DevOps ConsultantVIC
- CCeLearning Developer / Learning Management System AdministratorACT
- CCProject Manager/ Sr PMO Analyst - Consulting BackgroundNSW