EA Sports UFC (PlayStation 4)
The brutal world of MMA enters the next generation
- Detailed graphics
- Slick presentation
- Complex battle system
- Ordinary career mode
MMA fans will find much to like with EA Sports UFC. Those looking for simpler thrills, however, will look elsewhere.
Price$ 89.00 (AUD)
EA Sports is turning its attention to mixed martial arts following the success of its Fight Night franchise. Its latest game, Ultimate Fighting Championship, is the first mixed martial arts game designed for the next generation of consoles.
The new face of fighting
What immediately stands out about EA Sports UFC is how impressive the game looks. The game has been developed with the PlayStation 4 in mind, which means the graphics stand out in how sharp and detailed they are.
Character models and animations are a significant leap over those featured in the last generation of fighting games, particularly during close-ups and in-action. Like all EA Sports titles, the game comes with a stylish presentation that replicates the look and feel of a UFC event on TV.
The game features numerous famous UFC fighters that have been rendered accurately. Each fighter also comes with detailed stats and a stamina quotient that defines their strengths and weaknesses during a fight.
The various attack styles in UFC translates into complex battles, particularly if the fighters end up grappling on the mat. It’s not uncommon to be holding and pressing multiple buttons simultaneously at this juncture, so a bit of dexterity on behalf of the player is required.
Four on the floor
UFC is a multifaceted sport that has a dedicated fan base, though it still lacks the universal appeal of boxing. While EA has gone to great lengths to instil a stylish presentation, the game itself is not as accessible as titles such as Street Fighter or Tekken.
MMA battles have a tendency to start off as uprights fights that somehow end up as grappling struggles on the mat. This means the importance of face-to-face fights in the game is somewhat diminished, as the match may be decided in the outcome of a submission attempt.
The game’s career mode shows promise at first, but ultimately fails to capture the excitement and tension of being an MMA fighter. The experience becomes a bit repetitive over time, and the videos shown between fights are often as forgettable as those in EA’s own Need for Speed games.
EA Sports UFC does a good job of representing the sport and its fighters, and fans will appreciate all the little details. Everyone else, though, will need to take into account the more complex mechanics of the sport before deciding to step into the ring.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Google Daydream VR headset
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Huawei Mate 9
Acer Swift 7
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® Portable SSD
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Surface Pro 4
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- You can download Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes for iOS and Android today
- Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes looks sharp, but will it survive the freemium transition?
- Nintendo's bringing Super Mario Run to Android in March, but Fire Emblem's coming first
- The Switch is a mix of Nintendo's past consoles
- Dead Rising 4 impressions: 'Tis the season to BBQ zombies with your flaming sword
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCSenior Project Manager - Regulatory/Compliance - BankingNSW
- CCPega DeveloperNSW
- CCBusiness Project ManagerNSW
- FTApplication Support Analyst/DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Software EngineerVIC
- FTWeb Developer/ReportsNSW
- CCCA ITCM / ITCA EngineerNSW
- FTMonitoring Tools Support l NimSoft , SMARTS, ehealth, TivoliNSW
- CCTest AnalystWA
- TPInsights ManagerWA
- TPSenior Project Manager - ReinsuranceNSW
- CCSolution DesignerVIC
- TPSCCM SpecialistVIC
- CCSenior System AdministratorVIC
- TPMaster SchedulerNSW
- TP.Net DeveloperSA
- CCSOE EngineerACT
- TPMid-Level Java DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Web DeveloperNSW
- CCTest Automation EngineerVIC
- CCWicked Front-End DeveloperQLD
- TPTechnical Report EditorQLD
- TPSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCSharepoint Business AnalystACT
- FTAnalyst Programmer (Natural/Adabas)SA