EA Games Tiger Woods PGA Tour 09
Tiger Woods may be sitting out the rest of the actual 2008 PGA Tour to rehabilitate a busted knee, but that hasn't stopped the golf series that bears his name from offering a bunch of thoughtful touch-ups.
- Instant-feedback meter, skill system makes more sense, Club Tuner, Simultaneous Play, graphics
- Automatic club caddy gets confused, spectator animation
A new club tuner, simultaneous online play and input from Tiger's own coach make Tiger Woods PGA Tour 09 as close as you'll get to a green.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
The Tiger Woods PGA Tour 09 iteration of Electronic Arts' golfing finger-slinger plays like last year's version with perks, ironing out the kinks in its core play while shoring up accessibility with features like a club tuner that lets you tweak everything from wedges to woods, dynamic skills that fluctuate up or down based on your performance, and commentary plus custom drills from Tiger's own real-life coach, Hank Haney.
Factor in five new courses and four new golfers with an international twist plus expanded online challenges, revised minigames, and a simultaneous-play feature that lets up to four players polish off a round without waiting turns, and Tiger Woods PGA Tour 09 is the most versatile version of the series in years. The game is available for PlayStation 2, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.
Last year's features return mostly improved in Tiger Woods PGA Tour 09, including the game's bifurcated swing interface which lets players choose between flicking the left thumb-stick to simulate back- and downswings, or tapping a button three times to indirectly accomplish the same thing. The prehistoric three-click swing is easy to master but feels detached and mechanical, and pulling off complex pop-ups or rare double eagles still requires coming to grips with the analog thumb-stick.
Last year's rendition of Tiger Woods PGA Tour was hypersensitive, causing you to sink balls in bunkers and water hazards with an errant nudge. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 09 comes with a helpful instant-feedback meter that lets you see precisely how your thumb is moving and feels calibrated to be a trifle more forgiving whether you're swinging with Tiger or just some bogey-prone hacker. You'll still want to babysit the game's automatic club caddy, however, as it gets confused and subs in silly picks on complex courses that require more strategic selections.
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 09 ships with 11 updated courses and five brand-new ones, including Gary Player Country Club in South Africa, our very own Wentworth Country Club, Sheshan Golf Club in China, Wolf Creek in Nevada, and Bay Hill Country Club in Florida. Several of the new courses (Sheshan in particular) have devilishly tricky hazards fronting greens that'll force you to master your backswing and avoid airmailing balls over the green.
Kelly Tilghman and Sam Torrance replace Gary McCord and David Feherty as commentators and do a great if subdued job providing compliments and wry jabs on off shots. Se Ri Pak, Darren Clarke, Nick Dougherty, and Rory McIlroy add an international spin to the game's substantial player roster.
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 09 simplifies the series' skill system, folding everything into just four areas: power, accuracy, short game, and putting. Unlike last year's version, these attributes can now sink as well as rise depending on your performance, a feature that makes far more sense than last year's one-way progressions.
Instead of creating impervious supergolfers, your custom pro will now backtrack in a specific area if he or she plays poorly. Split the fairway with shotgun drives, and your power rating will skyrocket, but pull your drives, and it'll crumble. Hit consistently inside 100 yards of the green, and your short game will soar — or collapse if you're constantly climbing out of bunkers and water hazards. The only downside? It takes a maddening 10 or more seconds to save your game, something that happens automatically each and every time an attribute changes.
Dovetailing with EA Sports' recent attempts to shore up accessibility in all its sports titles, PGA Tour 09 introduces Tiger Woods's personal coach Hank Haney to walk you through the basics and shepherd you from, hopefully, novice to semi-pro. After completing a preliminary start-up test that assigns you a basic "My Skill" rating, Hank will gauge your progress as you play through tournaments and challenges.
While his audio commentary leans toward the generic, it's his follow-up drills that merit kudos. Polish off a course or challenge, and he'll offer optional power, accuracy, short game, and putting regimens that can temporarily bolster your attributes. The verbal advice may amount to fortune-cookie wisdom, but the focus sessions actually help you get a handle on the interface much more quickly than banging through in-game months of tournament play.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Acer Swift 7
Huawei Mate 9
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® Portable SSD
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Surface Pro 4
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- You can download Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes for iOS and Android today
- Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes looks sharp, but will it survive the freemium transition?
- Nintendo's bringing Super Mario Run to Android in March, but Fire Emblem's coming first
- The Switch is a mix of Nintendo's past consoles
- Dead Rising 4 impressions: 'Tis the season to BBQ zombies with your flaming sword
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCUser Experience Designer - Part time - Short contractACT
- FTDatabase DeveloperACT
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Technical ArchitectACT
- TPProduct Owner - Cloud SolutionsQLD
- TPAnalyst Workplace SupportVIC
- TPLead Change Manager - ERPVIC
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Sales & Marketing Modules)QLD
- TPSystem AdministratorVIC
- TPSolution Architect - IntegrationQLD
- FTJunior / Entry Level IT role - Recent IT TAFE GraduateNSW
- CCCloud Solution Architect - Financial Services - Continuous IntegrationNSW
- FTJava Developer/IntegratorACT
- FTChange Manager - Large Transition ProjectNSW
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net Developer - Internet of ThingsNSW
- CCFront End DeveloperNSW
- FTFull Stack DeveloperQLD
- CCSystem EngineerSA
- TPChange AnalystQLD
- FTClient Delivery ManagerSA
- FT.Net DeveloperVIC
- TPIT Project Officer - TMRQLD
- CCWicked Front-End DeveloperNSW
- TPProject ManagerOther
- TPAgile Business AnalystQLD
- FTInfrastructure Security Compliance OfficerNSW