The Sims 3
The Sims are back in the neighbourhood
- New real-time map, diverse personalities, high replay-value, it’s The Sims!
- Not much new to sink your teeth into
The Sims 3 is a gentle evolution of the series that retains everything fans hold dear. While the improvements on offer aren't major, they're enough to make the upgrade worthwhile. Bring on the expansion packs!
Price$ 99.00 (AUD)
Over the coming weeks, you may begin to hear strange, pseudo-Scandinavian chanting outside your window. You might even feel an urge to join in. Don’t be alarmed -- it’s merely the sound of thousands of celebratory gamers singing Simlish in the streets. That’s right boys ‘n’ girls; after a five-year hiatus (and a last-minute delay), the world’s best-selling computer game franchise is back in the neighbourhood.
When I first started playing The Sims 3, it was seven o'clock at night. When I next looked up from my computer to check the time, it was 7:30 - the next morning. That's when I knew that, once again, I was hooked on the Sims.
I am what I am
Longtime Sims fans will be in for a treat from the minute they boot up Sims 3. but even newcomers will find something to like; in fact, this title might be the most user friendly Sims experience thanks to some great tweaks to the interface. The character creator is easier than ever to use but it still manages to offer up a wealth of customization options. You can style your Sims any way you want, from the color of hair roots to the material of their shoes -- no detail was overlooked. The new personality system is also great, allowing you to mix and match five different traits your Sims will take on; these range from good traits like 'enthusiastic' and 'creative' to negative traits like 'kleptomaniac' and 'slob.' After molding your Sims, you are then given a few career paths or "Lifetime Wishes" that fit the mixture of traits you chose. This means that if you create a workaholic Sim, you have a shot at eventually becoming a corporate CEO; create a charismatic Sim and your career path may take you on the road to becoming a world-famous spy.
After playing dress-up, it's now time to buy a new house which you can get either furnished or unfurnished. The customization options here are even more detailed than in the character creation tools. From the carpet and walls to the refrigerator or even a telephone, you can choose the patterns, colors, fabrics, and just about everything in between. And anal-retentive fans will love this: furniture can now be placed diagonally or in half-tile increments that make it possible to center everything properly. Yes, for us true Sims fans, it's the little things that count.
Upon a star...
As Sims work toward their "Lifetime Wishes," they will have smaller wishes that they hope to fulfill along the way, such as sucking up to your boss or leveling up your guitar skills. Each time your Sim completes a wish, you are given points to spend on upgrades that make life easier. You might be able to perform better at work or make friends more easily, but more importantly, there are some rewards that will allow you to worry less about several daily maintenance needs (like the steel bladder, which cuts down on bathroom breaks), but unfortunately, not all of those needs can be turned off completely.
Sim interaction is deeper this time around, allowing for more of a personalized experience. Instead of the standard "chat" or "joke" selections, your interaction options change in real time, depending on what's currently going on in your Sims' lives. If your Sim just received a promotion or has a crush on another Sim, you can talk about those very things to others. If your Sim just read a book or watched TV, you can ask other Sims whether they liked the book or show.
All Work, All Play
Overall, The Sims 3 is definitely a huge step in the right direction with all the improvements it offers. I would've liked more of a true story mode, like we've seen in the console versions or in the Stories series. And at times, I was reverting back to the mundane "eat, sleep, work, eat, sleep, work" cycle that I thought we'd be done with by now (though this micromanaging is way more streamlined now). But The Sims 3 allows players to play the way they truly want, way more than they ever were able to do before. The Sims 3 is a must for any fan, and the new features will win over many new hearts to the Sims franchise.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Acer Swift 7
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Google Daydream VR headset
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Lexar® Portable SSD
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Surface Pro 4
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- You can download Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes for iOS and Android today
- Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes looks sharp, but will it survive the freemium transition?
- Nintendo's bringing Super Mario Run to Android in March, but Fire Emblem's coming first
- The Switch is a mix of Nintendo's past consoles
- Dead Rising 4 impressions: 'Tis the season to BBQ zombies with your flaming sword
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCInfrastructure Test AnalystACT
- FTSenior C++ EngineerACT
- FTL1 Application SupportWA
- TPDeployment Specialist (DevOps)QLD
- FTSupport Analyst / Production Support - InformaticaNSW
- CCLevel 1/2 SAP Support AnalystACT
- CCNetwork Engineer (cisco)NSW
- TPBusiness Analyst - Technical BackgroundQLD
- TPProject OfficerNSW
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)ACT
- FTDeveloper - XML & JavaVIC
- CCSAP/ Nakisa Implementation ConsultantQLD
- FTSenior Software EngineerVIC
- FTInfrastructure Solution ArchitectSA
- FTSnr SOC Security Coordinator - Perm - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTSupport and Operations Team LeadNSW
- TPSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCCA ITCM / ITCA EngineerNSW
- FTIt Security and process analystNSW
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)VIC
- FTJunior Software Engineer - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)NSW
- FTConsultant Business AnalystQLD
- TPOrganisational Change Manager - ICT Services TransformationQLD
- FTSenior Functional Consultant - Data Analytics - TelcoVIC
- FTMid Level PHP DeveloperNSW