EA Games The Simpsons Game
- Amazing graphics that bring Springfield to life, writing is superb
- Awful camera, controls and load times
All in all, The Simpsons Game is a good effort, but some glaring flaws really hold it back. If you can get around the wonky camera and less than stellar controls, you're in for some genuine laughs, but you'll probably end up feeling more frustrated than anything else.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
We were so hyped up about The Simpsons Game. As a big fan of the show, we wanted another chance to romp around in our favourite fictional city with our favourite animated family!
Unfortunately, while the game does some things right, it's lacklustre in some key areas, which keeps it from being the end-all, be-all Simpsons game that we wanted it to be.
Jeebus would be ashamed...
First off, the controls suck. We mean, they really suck. They suck so bad that they often detracted from the on-screen fun. For instance, each character has, in one form or another, a type of targeting system -- Marge uses hers to aim her megaphone while Bart uses his to aim his slingshot. Unfortunately, the control scheme never works reliably, and having to deal with unresponsive controls and bad targeting drained the fun out of moments in which we were actually enjoying the hilarious mission we were on. Had the developers took more time to polish the controls, we'd be treated to a much finer gaming experience. Compounding the issue was the fact that many of the missions were time based, and we would repeatedly fail missions just because of the controls.
Lights! Camera! Inaction!
Secondly, the camera is god-awful. This is a problem common to these types of games, but you would figure a powerhouse company like EA wouldn't make such a blatant mistake. There were far too many instances when my view of the action was completely blocked and attempting to fix the angle only made things worse. If it weren't for the amazing visuals and smooth frame-rate, we would've completely given up on the game.
Though, those awesome graphics were traded for ridiculous load times. Sure, we've come to expect a short wait when, say, a mission is loading but to have to endure through lag after switching out characters is ridiculous.
Welcome to Springfailed
The biggest tragedy is that The Simpsons Game is a decent title, and had these major issues been addressed, it would have fared much better. Springfield and all its denizens are recreated faithfully and the free-roaming, GTA-like mission structure gives you the opportunity to just walk around and take in the sights.
The game's story is also brilliant, thanks to some great writing. Seriously, if the animated show still had writing this good, I'd feel more compelled to actually watch it on a regular basis.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Lexar® Portable SSD
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Huawei Mate 9
Acer Swift 7
Google Daydream VR headset
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- You can download Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes for iOS and Android today
- Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes looks sharp, but will it survive the freemium transition?
- Nintendo's bringing Super Mario Run to Android in March, but Fire Emblem's coming first
- The Switch is a mix of Nintendo's past consoles
- Dead Rising 4 impressions: 'Tis the season to BBQ zombies with your flaming sword
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior Business Project ManagerNSW
- CCPMO Analyst - Financial ServicesNSW
- FTDevops EngineerVIC
- FTWeb Developer/ReportsNSW
- FTSenior Software Engineer - JavaQLD
- FTSalesforce Technical Consultant/Architect Global IT Company - SydneyNSW
- FTSenior Learning Specialist - Global OrganisationQLD
- CCPMO ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager x 2QLD
- TPGIS Developer - 6 month ContractQLD
- CCMidrange ProvisioningNSW
- CCTest AnalystQLD
- FTConsultant Business AnalystQLD
- TPSenior Analyst Programmer - ContractQLD
- TPBusiness AnalystVIC
- TPSAP Helpdesk SupportACT
- FTFront-End DevOps Developer/Consultant - IT Services - SydneyNSW
- FTMicrosoft ProgrammerSA
- CCCyber Security ArchitectNSW
- TPBI & Report Developer (SQL Developer)QLD
- CCBusiness Test Lead - BRT/UATNSW
- CCSenior System AdministratorVIC
- FT.net Developer (Front and Back end)QLD
- CCSenior Mobile Application DeveloperNSW
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Technical ArchitectVIC