NBA Live 10
Live 10 is without question the best looking game of the series to date
- Dynamic DNA for up to the minute rosters, great arena/seasonal effects and chants, control scheme is much improved and free-style passing is a godsend on fast breaks
- AI still has some serious mental lapses, lack of game play options, Marv Albert joins John Madden's repetitive hall of fame
Ouch. It looks like the EA machine stumbled a bit with NBA 10. While 2K's effort is getting raves, NBA 10 clocks in with a middling score. Hopefully, this motivates the dev team to go back to the drawing board and get their gameplan in order.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
EA's NBA Live is back again this year trying to dig itself out of a hole it has been mired in since the birth of the Dreamcast ten years ago. For those keeping score at home, Live has been trying to gain our attention with stiff player animations, lousy AI and poor play mechanics (seriously? I need two shoot buttons?) for a decade.
I dog the Live series a lot, and that's because the 2K series has always been a far better representation of real NBA action in my opinion. Fortunately, the guys at EA Canada have obviously started to take exception to being the second stringers in the realm of virtual basketball, because this year's Live is actually a really encouraging step forward for the series.
Live 10 is without question the best looking game of the series to date, the players run well, off the ball action is fairly consistent and arenas are recreated with near perfect detail down to individual player warm up routines -- like Wade's pull ups and LeBron's powder shower thing that gets the kids in Cleveland all geeked. Players will try to get open and when you're moving down the court for a set play, there will be players improvising around defenders and jockeying for position on the boxes.
I really can't say enough about how impressive the overall aesthetic of NBA Live 10 is, even down to the crowds, which really are regarded as nothing more than background noise, they seem to move almost as well and as independently as the players! The focus on atmosphere really shines through with this attention to detail, as rivalry games and playoff games become a circus and brings the vibe of professional basketball to life. As a Sixers fan, this is excellent news for me, as I haven't seen professional basketball since roughly 2002.
There's a certain reverence for the culture around basketball, there is an incredible abundance of shoes, jerseys and other specific details that just scream out the passion that EA Canada has put into this project. However, I can't help but think that had more time been spent on the gameplay, I'd be singing the praises of a good basketball video game and not a good basketball video montage.
For all the good work done to improve the court team management and to simplify the controls by -- FINALLY just one shoot button -- there are still some glaring AI issues present. The new emphasis on hustle plays is greatly over exaggerated as I have yet to see a player fly head first out of bounds for a ball, rather it needs to be more of an opportune ball going out to be saved. As mentioned earlier, off the ball movement has been greatly improved, but is still far from perfect. Players will slash and move around defenders, but every so often a pass will go to a player standing on the corner and his first instinct is to step out of bounds. This is hardly gamebreaking, it's just one of those things that can take you out of a game quickly and is, quite frankly, insanely frustrating while playing a close game against a white hot scoring team.
Another gripe I have is with the lack of game modes. NBA Live 10 has an extremely powerful dynasty mode that is really all I'll ever need to get my money's worth out of this game, and the FIBA World Championship mode is a welcome change of pace, but the DYNAMIC Season mode doesn't thrill me as much. I like the idea of the in-game roster updating daily with the outcomes and streaks of their real life counterparts, and being able to replay a team's tough loss, thus turning it into a win, might help ease the sting of losing a bit, but I can't help but think basketball is the perfect game for a superstar mode and the Live series is still sorely lacking on that front. Being able to create a baller from the ground up and guide him through an NBA career is the perfect setting for a game mode that's horribly utilized in the Madden series.
...and that will do it.
The Live series makes a strong come back this year with NBA LIVE 10, so what if it took a decade on the pine watching 2K take home all the hardware? There's no shame in being the Sixth Man so long as you keep improving to a full fledged starter. With that said, I don't remember the last time I saw somebody go out and buy an Aaron McKie jersey.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Google Daydream VR headset
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Huawei Mate 9
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® Portable SSD
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Acer Swift 7
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Surface Pro 4
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- You can download Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes for iOS and Android today
- Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes looks sharp, but will it survive the freemium transition?
- Nintendo's bringing Super Mario Run to Android in March, but Fire Emblem's coming first
- The Switch is a mix of Nintendo's past consoles
- Dead Rising 4 impressions: 'Tis the season to BBQ zombies with your flaming sword
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCIT Solutions ArchitectQLD
- TPBusiness Analyst - PeopleSoft HR/Payroll ProjectVIC
- TPProject OfficerNSW
- CCSolution Architect - Financial applicationsVIC
- FTSenior Web DeveloperNSW
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerQLD
- CCFirewall EngineerNSW
- FTStorage Solution ArchitectVIC
- CCIT Procurement OfficerNSW
- TPAPS6/EL1 Database Modelling SpecialistACT
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTLevel 2 Technical Support OfficerQLD
- TPIteration ManagerNSW
- TPSenior Service Desk AnalystNSW
- TPSpatial Science OfficerQLD
- CCTelecommunication Operations SpecialistTAS
- TPSenior Project Manager - ReinsuranceNSW
- FTSenior Systems AdministratorWA
- FTSenior Java EngineerACT
- FTSenior Business AnalystVIC
- TPSenior Network EngineerWA
- FTBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTFull Stack Developer (Front and Back end)QLD
- CCDevops Consultant - 12 month contractVIC
- FTPerformance TesterACT