EA Games Madden NFL '08
- Solid A.I, Wii remote adds a novel twist to proceedings.
- Shoddy presentation, annoying and unresponsive controls, no new game modes.
Madden NFL '08 proves once again that the Wii is ill suited to this kind of video game. The PS3 and Xbox 360 versions run rings around it.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
Sorry Wii owners but it looks like you get the short end of the stick yet again: while the Xbox 360 and PS3 get the next great Madden, you get a pared down version that sort of sucks. Oh well, there's always next year, right?
Playing Madden 08 for the Wii makes me wonder if some scientist has finally found a way to travel back into time. I expected the Wii version's graphics to be mediocre and dated when compared to the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions but I wasn't expecting this: the game looks like they took a copy of Madden '05 and just changed the number to an 8.
But that's the least of its problems. First, the game almost requires you to be standing up in order to play it. As with last year's installment, you have to flick the Wii Remote around in order to throw passes, stiff arm defenders and shake tacklers. Sitting down in a chair will only hamper your ability to pull of the necessary moves. Also, make sure that your sensor bar is in good working order because I found that the controls were a little unresponsive.
I was also underwhelmed by the lack of new game modes. Everything is the same as the past two Maddens, which is really disappointing. The one thing I did like about Madden is that the AI is very intelligent you can't simply choose the same homerun play over and over again. You definitely have to be creative with your play calling. Also, as fickle as the Wii controls can be, the fact that you have to physically act out the movements does add an interesting layer of interactivity and realism to the game.
For instance, just like in real life, if you release a pass too early, it will either end up in an interception or with your receiver getting drilled in the ribs. On the flip side, releasing the ball late could end up getting sacked or your pass swatted down. I played quarterback for my high school freshman team so I give props to EA for doing a good job of simulating the quarterback position.
Aside from that, though, Wii owners are once again getting stuck with the short end of the stick. While Xbox 360 and PS3 owners get a slick upgrade over Madden '07, Wii owners get a mediocre and lackluster version. Diehard fans and series n00bs alike should avoid the Wii version, as it's inferior in just about every single way.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- The Switch is a mix of Nintendo's past consoles
- Dead Rising 4 impressions: 'Tis the season to BBQ zombies with your flaming sword
- This week in games: Free Titanfall 2 weekend, Star Wars Battlefront meets Rogue One
- Every new game revealed at The Game Awards 2016, from Guardians of the Galaxy to Zelda
- Watch Dogs 2 PC impressions: A smooth-running romp through meme-filled San Francisco
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTBrand Marketing Manager - Premium Entertainment BrandNSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystSA
- FTRegional Sales Manager - Telco/ICT - Employer of choiceQLD
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- FTSolutions Architect - Data Centre/ NetworkSA
- CCSenior C++ Software EngineerWA
- FTMedia Architect/LeadNSW
- CCProject/ Operational CoordinatorNSW
- FTIT Information Security AdvisorNSW
- FTSenior Front End Web DeveloperNSW
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Finance ConsultantNSW
- FTFull Stack PHP DeveloperQLD
- FTSAP BW ConsultantACT
- TPAnsarada Data Room AdministratorNSW
- FTService Desk Analyst / Security EngineerQLD
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Functional Consultant Advanced Warehouse ManagementNSW
- CCSoftware DeveloperNSW
- FTPerformance Reporting AnalystNSW
- FTProject SchedulerSA
- CCBiztalk DeveloperACT
- CCProject SchedulerNSW
- FTInformation / Data Quality AnalystNSW
- TPFinancial Project management - Multiple grant programsNSW
- FTTest Analyst - HealthcareVIC
- FTTechnical Account ManagerVIC