EA Games Madden NFL '08
- Solid A.I, Wii remote adds a novel twist to proceedings.
- Shoddy presentation, annoying and unresponsive controls, no new game modes.
Madden NFL '08 proves once again that the Wii is ill suited to this kind of video game. The PS3 and Xbox 360 versions run rings around it.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
Sorry Wii owners but it looks like you get the short end of the stick yet again: while the Xbox 360 and PS3 get the next great Madden, you get a pared down version that sort of sucks. Oh well, there's always next year, right?
Playing Madden 08 for the Wii makes me wonder if some scientist has finally found a way to travel back into time. I expected the Wii version's graphics to be mediocre and dated when compared to the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions but I wasn't expecting this: the game looks like they took a copy of Madden '05 and just changed the number to an 8.
But that's the least of its problems. First, the game almost requires you to be standing up in order to play it. As with last year's installment, you have to flick the Wii Remote around in order to throw passes, stiff arm defenders and shake tacklers. Sitting down in a chair will only hamper your ability to pull of the necessary moves. Also, make sure that your sensor bar is in good working order because I found that the controls were a little unresponsive.
I was also underwhelmed by the lack of new game modes. Everything is the same as the past two Maddens, which is really disappointing. The one thing I did like about Madden is that the AI is very intelligent you can't simply choose the same homerun play over and over again. You definitely have to be creative with your play calling. Also, as fickle as the Wii controls can be, the fact that you have to physically act out the movements does add an interesting layer of interactivity and realism to the game.
For instance, just like in real life, if you release a pass too early, it will either end up in an interception or with your receiver getting drilled in the ribs. On the flip side, releasing the ball late could end up getting sacked or your pass swatted down. I played quarterback for my high school freshman team so I give props to EA for doing a good job of simulating the quarterback position.
Aside from that, though, Wii owners are once again getting stuck with the short end of the stick. While Xbox 360 and PS3 owners get a slick upgrade over Madden '07, Wii owners get a mediocre and lackluster version. Diehard fans and series n00bs alike should avoid the Wii version, as it's inferior in just about every single way.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Acer Swift 7
Huawei Mate 9
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Google Daydream VR headset
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Lexar® Portable SSD
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Surface Pro 4
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- You can download Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes for iOS and Android today
- Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes looks sharp, but will it survive the freemium transition?
- Nintendo's bringing Super Mario Run to Android in March, but Fire Emblem's coming first
- The Switch is a mix of Nintendo's past consoles
- Dead Rising 4 impressions: 'Tis the season to BBQ zombies with your flaming sword
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior Software EngineerVIC
- FTBid ManagerVIC
- FTMid-Level Software Engineer x 2 - Positive Vetting, NV2 or NV1 required!!SA
- FTInfrastructure Architect (Adelaide Based)VIC
- CCProject SpecialistVIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Financial ServicesVIC
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTSenior C++ EngineerACT
- FTJava Developer - Fixed Term ContractQLD
- FTSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Infrastructure EngineerNSW
- FTChief Architect - Public SectorACT
- FTConsultant Business AnalystQLD
- CCProject Support OfficerNSW
- CCSAP Billing & Invoicing ConsultantNSW
- FTSAP BOBJ ConsultantACT
- TPCrystal Reports DeveloperSA
- CCNetwork Specialist - IPAM TelcoVIC
- FTFinancial ERP Customer SME / Solution Consultant / System AccountantNSW
- FTProject Manager (Software product development)VIC
- FTMobile Gaming SupportQLD
- TPBusiness Analyst - PeopleSoft HR/Payroll ProjectVIC
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- TPHRIS Business AnalystQLD
- FTTechnical Business AnalystNSW