Dyson AM02 White/Silver Tower fan
The Dyson AM02 Tower fan offers the ultimate in portable fan chic, but it comes with a cool price tag
- A powerful portable fan with a stylish design, offers precise power control over a conventional bladed fan. Safe for children and pets to be around, easy to clean
- Expensive price, noisy when set to maximum power setting
The Dyson AM02 Tower Fan is a bladeless fan that generates a smooth and uninterrupted airflow. Its stylish design, and sleek looks will turn heads, and it provides precise power control over the airflow. If you need to place a portable fan in a room with small children or pets, this is highly recommended, plus it's very easy to clean.
Price$ 599.00 (AUD)
The Dyson AM02 Tower Fan, from design masters Dyson, has had many people in our office rubber-necking and raising eyebrows — just look at the product pictures to see why! Following on from Dyson's Air Multiplier (25cm), which was released in 2009, the latest edition to the Air Multiplier range looks pretty darn cool (and does a good job of keeping you cool), but it comes with a hefty price tag of $599.
So what will $599 get you? Well for starters it’ll get you the fanciest fan on the Australian market. It will also deliver a smooth, uninterrupted air flow air flow without the danger of decapitation from those archaic bladed fans of yesteryear.
Dyson AM02 Tower Fan: Features
The Dyson AM02 Tower Fan works in the same fashion as the original Air Multiplier: air is drawn in from the surroundings and it's forced up through the base by an impeller and out of tiny holes all around the tower's 'wing'. The Dyson AM02 has a 20L per second air intake through the base of the unit. The air is then dispersed evenly up through the ‘airfoil-shaped ramp’ where it is then forced through a 1mm annular aperture or in layman terms – a really, really small gap at high velocity, resulting in a powerful air flow. Surrounding air is also inducted into the fan's flow. The original Air Multiplier had a multiplier rate of 15x, while the new AM02 has a rating of 16x, so it's a little more powerful.
As for controls, the AM02 ships with a remote control, but it also has buttons on its base. A ‘dimmer-switch’ allows for precise and variable control of the air flow, rather than conventional and somewhat limited buttons that are found on most bladed fans, which restrict you to only a few settings. Next to the dimmer switch is a button for controlling the fan's 90 degree oscillation range, followed by the power switch. The Dyson AM02 Tower Fan has an LED display for use in the dark.
Dyson AM02 Tower Fan: Performance
We were impressed by the power of the Dyson AM02; it really did a good job keeping us cool. However, it is a slightly noisy fan, and we found it to be noisier than a conventional bladed fan. Indeed, when the Dyson AM02 was set to its most powerful setting, it was the type of loud you wouldn’t want sitting next to you on a hot summer's day while you’re sprawled out on the couch watching TV. In a way, the dimmer-switch is almost like a volume control: the lower the setting, the quieter it runs.
Noise issues aside, the Dyson AM02 is a great fan. We appreciate how easy it is to clean; since there are no blades to get dust caked-on, there’s no fiddling around with removing cages and screws and the like. Simply wipe it down with a micro-fibre cloth or a tissue and you're done. The absence of blades also makes it safe for kids, and we know what kids like doing best; putting their hands in spots they are not meant to touch. Similarly, inquisitive cats need not worry about having their whiskers trimmed -- the Dyson AM02 Tower Fan is feline friendly. A downside to the lack of blades is the fact that when you speak into the AM02, you no longer get that cool fan voice..sigh..Read more: Dyson V6 Absolute cordless vacuum cleaner
If you need to replace your old and rattling bladed fan, and are lucky enough to have $599 to spend on a portable fan then consider the Dyson AM02. It is a powerful device, with a very stylish design, and it offers greater and more precise power control than a conventional bladed fan. Plus it's safe to have around animals and children who might bump a portable fan over, and it's very easy to clean. Unfortunately, and this is the only problem we have with it (apart from the high price) is that it is rather noisy when on its maximum power setting.
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Become a fan of GoodGearGuide on Facebook: Become a fan of GoodGearGuide on Facebook
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® Portable SSD
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Google Daydream VR headset
Huawei Mate 9
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- TP-Link's new Wi-Fi light bulbs shun smart bridges for easier, cheaper setup
- Nissan charges after Tesla with home battery system
- iLumi's BR30 Outdoor color-tunable smart bulb will bring programmable lighting to your yard this summer
- Solar on all U.S. roofs would supply 39% of power
- Kuvée Smart Bottle hands-on preview: Go ahead, open all the wine you want
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTTechnical Consultant MS Dynamics AXACT
- FTWeb Developer / Applications AnalystQLD
- TPBI & Report Developer (SQL Developer)QLD
- FTFront End DeveloperQLD
- TPProject ManagerOther
- TPSystem AdministratorVIC
- CCERP Business Analyst (Time Capture/ Management) - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net Developer - Internet of ThingsNSW
- FTSenior Project Manager - PERMANENTACT
- CCProject SpecialistVIC
- FTBusiness Development Executive - Queensland Public SectorQLD
- TPAgile Business AnalystQLD
- FTChange Manager - Large Transition ProjectNSW
- FTL1 Application SupportWA
- TPSenior Business AnalystVIC
- FTJunior Software Engineer - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)ACT
- TPBusiness Analyst AO7QLD
- FTTechnical Consultant MS Dynamics AXWA
- FTProject Manager (Software product development)VIC
- TPMicrosoft Analyst ProgrammerSA
- FTBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTLevel 3 EngineerNSW
- CCProject Manager - Adelaide basedVIC
- TPData AnalystWA
- TPInstructional Designer | DETQLD