Dvico FusionHDTV DVB-T
- Dual Tuners, Easy set up, Excellent picture quality
- Can't toggle between tuners, Navigation a little cumbersome.
DViCO has provided an efficient internal dual-tuner solution, which will only take up one PCI slot, one USB port and which only requires one antenna input. We loved the fact that we could record or watch two programs simultaneously, but we do wish there was an easier way to toggle between tuners, and we also wish we could un-mute the second tuner while watching the main tuner. Nevertheless, we recommend this product highly if you’re after a neat dual-tuner solution.
Price$ 325.00 (AUD)
DViCO's FusionHDTV DVB-T Dual Digital is the first PCI adapter we have seen to have two digital TV tuners on it. These allow you to record one program while you watch another or to even record two programs simultaneously.
Dual-tuner display is initiated by the picture-in-picture (PIP) feature, which display's the second channel in a muted screen in the corner of the main screen. Toggling between the tuners is cumbersome, however, as it requires venturing into the right-click menu, and toggling while one tuner is recording is not possible. This makes it important to decide which channel you want to record and which one you want to watch, before you start recording. While recording a second channel, the PIP window has to be enabled (visible), otherwise the recording ends. This can be frustrating if you don't want the background recording to distract you from the main program you are watching.
To use this card your PC must have one free PCI slot and one free USB 2.0 port. The USB port is needed for the second tuner, which does not run off the PCI bus. Only one antenna connection is needed though, which makes for a fairly neat installation.
As for image quality, it was excellent. Standard-definition (SD) and High-definition (HD) pictures were clear and not overly saturated and CPU usage was not excessive with DirectX Video Acceleration (DxVA) enabled.
We ran the card on an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ system with 1GB of RAM and a Leadtek GeForce 5900 Ultra graphics adapter. Without PIP enabled, a single SD channel consumed around 10 per cent of the CPU, and an HD channel between 10-20 per cent. With PIP enabled, CPU usage with two SD channels was 15-30 per cent, and with two HD channels it was 40-50 per cent, while one SD and one HD channel consumed 35-45 per cent.
Both tuners found all the available terrestrial channels in the Sydney area and reception was very good while using an antenna and cabling that is well over 20 years old.
The card ships with FusionHDTV software, which features a neat episode guide. It allows you to simply click on a program name to either watch it or record it. Unfortunately, the EPG will only display now and next data by default, which is the most information Australian broadcasters currently provide. FusionHDTV's main panel allows quick access to PIP, timeshifting, input source (the card also has an S-Video port for analog capture) and the EPG, however, the recording scheduler needs to be enabled from the right-click menu.
Physically, the DVB-T Dual Digital is a half-height PCI card with a full-size mounting bracket. Conveniently, it does ship with a half-size mounting bracket, which can be attached if you need the card can fit into slim-line case.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Total War: Warhammer DirectX 12 performance preview: Radeon reigns supreme
- Radeon Polaris GPU and Bristol Ridge APU should be featured by AMD at Computex
- Google's Tensor Processing Unit said to advance Moore's Law seven years into the future
- Confirmed by Nvidia: Official GeForce GTX 1070 tech specifications leak
- Rumours are true: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 officially supports only 2-way SLI setups
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCContract Systems Analyst (JAVA/Oracle/Web) 160603/SA/871Asia
- CCOracle DBA | 3-6mth ContractVIC
- CCContract Programmer (MS SQL Server/SQL/Web) 160518/P/626Asia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (IT Application/.Net) 160523/AP/254Asia
- CCTechnical Solutions Specialist - Software Developer (Client facing)NSW
- FTAX Lead Technical ConsultantNSW
- CCPEGA Developer / ConfigurerACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE/Oracle) 160520/AP/985Asia
- CCQA OfficerACT
- CCBusiness Systems AnalystQLD
- CCBusiness Analyst, LifeNSW
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW
- CCMultiple Oracle Fusion SOA/BPEL Developer OpportunitiesVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160606/AP/251Asia
- CC12 months + 2x12 months | $80/hr | NV1 Project Manager | Large govt departmentACT
- FTHadoop Operation EngineerNSW
- FTScrum MasterVIC
- FTData EngineersNSW
- CCSecurity Administrative Support OfficerACT
- CCNetwork Architect VoiceNSW
- CCPositive Vetted ICT positions - Defence intelligence and information securityACT
- CCJunior / Mid Level Java Developer - Developing Restful Microservice SolutionsVIC
- CCTechnical PM - Magento E-Commerce SolutionNSW
- FTOPEN _ ASAP_Technical Specialist COEACT
- CCSenior BA - Enterprise DataNSW